Ava | Chap. 68

I stilled, taken aback when I found myself standing face to face with Jace. It wasn't the fact I noticed him eavesdropping onto Tommy and I's conversation that startled me, no; it was that oppressing aura emanating from him that had caught my attention.

The same one I felt when he had turned into that beast back at the elf village.

Unsure whether he was about to lose control or not, I was cautious with my approach and took the calmest tone I could muster.

"Jace... are you okay...?" My voice was shaky despite my efforts, but I paid it no attention, focused solemly on him. Ruby whimpered when she noticed a large bruise crowning his cheek, my arm lifting to his face with concern. I felt his entire body freeze at my touch, myself suddenly feeling an urge to hold him in my arms and never let go.

He pulled his head away from my hand, sorrow clouding hie eyes as he cleared his throat. "I uhm... tripped. It doesn't matter, I... I think it's best we start moving; Curtis' lackies might still be around, if we stay here we'll be like sitting ducks.

- Alright, I'll let them know." He gave me a small nod before walking away after a few seconds of silence.

That was awkward. Ruby commented, our gaze following Jace's trail. I didn't put much thought into her words, absentmindedly frozen in my spot.

"Ava!!" I whirled, snapping back to reality as a pair of strong hands landed on my shoulders, the familiarity of Cade's icy blue gaze meeting my own soothing me despite his worried tone. His hand cupped my cheek, pupils flaring left and right. "Ava, can you hear me?"

I blinked, taken aback by his words while they sank in. "Yeah, I'm fine-

- Did he hurt you?

- H-hurt me? Who?" I squinted, struck by stuppor and confusion. "Do you mean Jace? No, he... he just told me to get the others ready to leave soon..." I frowned, worry blooming in my chest. "Cade are you okay? You're shaking." Ruby had alerted me about his hands slightly trembling, however he closed his palm into a fist as soon as I mentioned it.

He sighed. "Yeah. I'm fine." He paused, an unreadable look covering his face. "We should head back, make sure everyone is well enough to travel." He walked away before I could reply, leaving me in the dust with a confused face.

What's up with these two?

Pushing away my doubts, I decided it was best I focused on the task at hand; Jace is right, it's only a matter of time before Curtis' goons track us down ans staying here will only increase the risk of them finding us. Inviting Tommy and Tobby to follow, we headed back towards the cottage, hot on Cade's trail.

By the time we arrived, I could tell the
had already been spread about our departure by the sheer heaviness of the room; everyone was silent and as soon as I set foot into the living room all eyes were turned to me. I stilled, uncertain how to approach the situation.

I took a deep breath -however it came out more like a desperate sigh, and spoke up. "I know... you're all tired from the journey so far, but you need to trust Ja-

- How do you expect us to trust that bastard!?" The complaint came from Ryder -unsurprisingly- as he stood up from the back of the room, Angel eyeing him worryingly. I sighed, well aware I was about to get a good roast outta him... if not an insult or two at least. My lips remained closed as he continued, stuck searching for the right words. "He's supposed to be our Alpha, and yet all he did was run away, leaving US behind when that THING attacked us back at the elf village. What kind of an Alpha does that?"

I froze at his words, frowning in confusion. They... they don't know... Shit, well this changes everything... how am I supposed to tell them their Alpha -who's already pretty much hated at this point- is the one behind the death of many pack mates?