Chapter 1: The Great Escape

Diane laid silently staring at the ceiling of the beige room. She had aged, her hair no longer was its beautiful auburn color but instead it had a streak of gray throughout. It looked flat and dull as did most of her. She turned toward the entrance of the room and saw that Chloe was wheeling into the room. Diane's face grew dim, her heart fluttered, but still she laid there not uttering a word. Chloe rolled over to her and began to talk about all of her new experiences that were now her life. She was married and had a child, Diane never pictured this life for Chloe. In fact she never pictured a life outside of them two since the beginning of the incident. But look where it led her, she just stared at Chloe as she went on and on about her new life, and then Chloe pulled something out of her cheek. It was familiar, Diane would know as she was the one who had introduced this particular substance to Chloe years ago. The small green pill was encapsulated in saran wrap and Diane knew what her intentions were with it. But she couldn't call for help, the heavy medication they had her on were strong. Thankfully just as Chloe was about to administer the Ridocain, the psych nurse had come into the check on Diane and let Chloe know that visitation was now over. Deep down Diane was relieved. Chloe have the nurse a slight smile "Of course, I'll be here next month for family day." she said.
Diane knew she was safe for now. She had been in here for a while but she was growing tired of being stationary and remaining within these walls. In her mind she saved Chloe, she was a hero and all she wanted to do was be a mother to her little girl, but that was over. Now she had to take care of herself. Her first priority was to get out of this hell hole. Diane watched as Chloe was wheeled out, she still was sedated but she knew there was a slight window of opportunity to place some things in motion that night. Around midnight the doctor and night staff would run rounds but at that moment she would regain some sense of mobility only for a nurse to come in and drug her some more. She knew that the window was small but she would make sure that the IV was not in her arm come that time.
Later that night Diane was given that opportunity to get the IV out of her arm. Her range of motion was not fully there but there was some mobility. She began to rub her hand against the mattress. She rubbed it over and over trying to remove the IV, with one more rough movement she was able to knock the IV out of her hand. She waited a couple of minutes to gain some mobility in her arm and grabbed the IV leads toward her. Just as she did that a nurse had come into her room to medicare her again. The nurse injected the IV not knowing that Diane would no longer be receiving the medication. The nurse left the room leaving Diane to her own accord, she layed in bed for almost an hour and a half before she would be able to regain control of her body. When she was finally able to move she went to the door of course it was locked. Diane had to think fast. She looked down at her bare feet and the wires connected to her chest. They were connected to the EKG machine so what she did next she knew that the only way for this door to be opened was for someone to come and open it. Diane ran back to her bed and got in it, she placed the covers back over her just as they were when she was immobilized. She then ripped the cords off chest and waited. The nurse came running in her room to see if she had coded or if the leads fell off. She looked at the EKG leads and smiled "It's just the damn wires that fell off. I thought that you had died or something. Not that anyone would care after what you did to that poor girl" the nurse said as she began to place the wires back on Diane. When the nurse turned around to check the settings on the monitor Diane sprung out of bed and wrapped the remaining wires around the nurses neck. The nurse tried to scream as she grasped for air but Diane just tightened the grip around the neck even more. As the nurse slowly faded away Diane whispered in her ear "I saved her from them". Once the nurse was completely immobilized Diane quickly changed her out of the hospital gown and put the nurses clothes on, she then placed the nurse in her bed headed for the door. "Hopefully the night shift staffing sucks like at every other hospital." She slowly hurried down the hall hoping that this was where the exit was but instead stumbled upon the break room. The nurse had something in her scrub pocket and Diane pulled it out to see what it was. A key, She looked around the break room to see if any of the locks and a key hole in them. She tried every lock and thankfully it fit in the second one. Inside the locker was the woman's bag and coat. She looked through it to find that there were car keys (her ride), the women's wallet, phone and other nonsense. She placed the coat on and rushed in the opposite direction after making sure no one was in the hallway. All the other nurses were busy checking on their patients so she scurried to the double doors and scanned the nurse badge granting her access ro leave. Diane hurried down the stairs and out of the facility. Once she made it to the parking lot she ran through the aisles pressing the alarm button to let her know which car she would use to leave. The car's alarm was finally triggered and she hurried over. She got in and started the car making sure to drive slowly so as to not draw suspicion to herself. She had made it all the way to the outer gates and scanned the badge again to open onto the main road. The gates slowly opened allowing her to have access to freedom. Diane smiled as she drove away not knowing where she would go but it was damn good to be free.