Something's Changed

Chapter 1 - Something's changed.

Lily Evans had resolved to herself that she will not let James Potter make a spectacle out of her this year before she stepped on to the Hogwarts express.

Turns out she didn't need it. James potter hadn't asked her out even once into the first week of their seventh year. He had been keeping suprisingly to himself most of the time and even taking his studies seriously.

She had almost fainted when she saw him in the library ,hunched over a reference book while his quill scratched against a parchment furiously, on a saturday morning. She couldn't believe when he actually raised his hand to answer questions in class.

The rest of the marauders didn't seem fazed by this change in this slightest. Even Sirius Black, who was known to have vowed to never study and never let his best friend study, had been seen tagging along with James to the library a couple times.

Lily was perplexed when Remus Lupin told her that James had been helping him out in transfiguration. It seemed that the roles had reversed in the little group, because Remus Lupin was always the provider of help.

When she had boarded the train and went to the prefect's carriage to meet her fellow head, she had sputtered for a minute straight before letting out "How in the name of Merlin's beard did you become head boy Potter?"

She had expected some kind of pick up line or another narcissist comment but instead James potter gave an unsure grin and said " I've been wondering the same Evans." With that he had turned around and continued his chat with the Ravenclaw prefect he was talking to.

Lily blinked in surprise, normally whenever she entered the vicinity of James potter he would leave whatever he was doing and do his best to impress her.

For the past week, she had many encounters with James potter. Some stretching to even hours but not once had the messy haired quidditch player called her pretty or talked about how beatiful her eyes were. She had once dreamed how peaceful it would be when Potter stopped being a prick but she found herself wierded out by this sort of normalacy.

For a brief moment, she had thought that he was putting up an act just to get her attention.

The summer before seventh year, Lily had spent all her time placing numerous spells around the Evan's residence for protection of her family. She had requested headmaster Dumbledore for advice and he had hinted that technically, her family already knew about the wizarding world and she was of age, so she could perform magic outside of school. She hadn't kept in touch with anyone from school and decided she will have a peacefull summer.

It was on monday, when Lily first bumped into Sirius black this year. They had seen eachother around the common room but didn't have any chances for conversation. This time though, she had been sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace when he had plopped on it.

"Alright Evans?" He grinned adjusting the sleeves of his leather jacket. Lily frowned mentally, had he already forgotten about their conversation last year?

Nonethless, Lily gave him a smile, "How was your summer Black?" She asked him.

"Eventful. Mum and Dad took us on a camping trip to get away from all this, you know." He said nonchalantly refering to the war.

"They did?" She frowned. But Sirius's family were dark wizards, why would they get away if they were at the very core of the war?

"Oh I mean the Potters, I don't regard the Blacks as my family anymore. Don't worry your pretty little head over it. I'm just as much of their son as James is." He said with a careless smile.