Chapter 23

Surprise...double update ! I may or may not have an epilogue for you also coming up ;) 

The loud sound of the heartbeat filled the room. Mia's cry of relief was muffled against his chest as she sobbed, her happiness palpable as his eyes returned transfixed onto the monitor. Their baby he thought, his eyes a picture of wonder and amazement, a new emotion unfurling in his chest as he looked at the image the doctor had zoomed up.

"I love you." He whispered to her, his lips pressing into her hair as they both looked at the screen awe-struck and already in love.

"I love you too." She said, tears of happiness streaming down her face as they gazed adoringly at the screen.

"Congratulations." Dr. Smith responded pressing a button on the monitor as the image printed.

Accepting it, Ahmad held the photograph in his hand before pressing it against his beating heart saying a silent prayer of gratitude.

"Is everything okay with Amelia and the baby?" He asked, his tone already taking on the surging protectiveness of a father. At the back of his mind he thought that this feeling within him was one his own father should have felt towards him and then he remembered Abu, his words of blessings to them both.

"Everything appears to be progressing well." He answered, "Amelia needs plenty of food and rest even though her stomach would be nauseated for a short time longer. She is nine weeks along but your baby already has a strong heartbeat the pregnancy should progress well."

"But my last doctor had said that I would have difficulty getting pregnant much less carry a baby." Mia input, her voice belying her fear as she recalled the words.

"You went to a clinic." The doctor answered, "They are not fully equipped to conduct thorough examinations. What happened the last time was deeply unfortunate however miracles do happen which is why we conduct a second ultrasound. In the spur of the moment when the mother often believes she is suffering a miscarriage her stress level raises putting pressure to the womb. The following day everyone is a little more relaxed making it easier for the fetus to respond."

As the doctor conversed more about the due date, prenatal vitamins and first trimester precautions Mia settled her head against the pillows, her eyes caressing the intent look on Ahmad's face as he soaked up the information like a diligent student. Love and eternal hope blossomed in her chest as her eyes fluttered shut on their own accord, the exhaustion, the happiness and love overtaking her as she soundly slept away. One hand intertwined with Ahmad's and the other protectively resting on her belly Mia felt like she had the world.

Sometime later she awoke, Ahmad's eyes gazing adoringly at her, the exhaustion within them well concealed as he smiled, his pink mouth tugging almost boyishly as he bent his head forward placing a kiss against her stomach. She felt her heart somersault within her chest as her fingers came up stroking his dark head.

"What are you thinking?" She murmured running her hands through his hair.

"How much I love you." He earnestly responded, she felt her heart flip to the open adoration she saw there, "How I want to keep you both safe." He continued caressing her stomach, "How I vow to be a husband and a father first and foremost before I am a king" His words a promise as he stared intently into her eyes.

Tears filled her eyes as she listened to him; his thumb gently wiped it away, "Did I not tell you I feel helpless when you cry habibiti."

"They are happy tears." She answered on a sniffled laugh as he pressed his lips against the inside of her wrist immediately calming her.

"Abu is at the palace awaiting your arrival." He informed.

Her answering smile turning fond as she remembered his grandfather, her face suddenly alarmed he sprang upright, "Janette would be looking for me." Mia announced catching the time on the clock placed onto the wall.