Chapter 8. A Promise

'Are you ready to give me a promise in return for your brother's life, rabbit girl?'

I open my mouth to answer but nothing comes out. The creature is asking me to promise to give myself away. It is asking me to promise my life in return.

My hesitation to answer hints of a negative and the creature reacts badly to the prospect of being denied. 'I can claim your life now if I choose to. I don't need your approval to do so. I have no need for your promises or your insolence, rabbit girl.' He bawls the hand holding the golden leaves into a fist and hides it inside his cloak. 'I have been generous because I was curious, but this no longer interests me. I will leave you here, to spend your last minutes of life reflecting on your deeds. Perhaps you will feel more gratitude as you think of me in your last dying breath.'

He starts to leave but turns his head towards me one last time. 'I thought you would be braver than this, but I guess I was wrong. There is no bravery in you. You cower as you face Death. Your brother's life means less than your own. I have no interest in your soul, there is no honor or courage there.'

He walks into the forest and I shout at him, blinded by despair. "No! Wait!"

'There is no more waiting for you or me. You no longer have to worry about choosing, human girl. I leave your fate to your hands. Do with it what you will.'

I blink and he is not there anymore. He has gone and left me here to die of exhaustion and cold. I clench my trembling fists in angry distress.

How dare he say those things to me?

I would do everything for my brother! I have fought through winter and snow for him. I have trespassed for him, and I have risked my life for him.

'But would you die for the one you love so much?' A whisper slithers into my head.

Yes, I would. I knew I would have to pay a price, I knew it the moment I walked into this forest. I knew it when I stepped into the blue heart. I knew it all along. I was ready to die for my brother. I was ready the moment I decided to leave home.

'Then prove it.' I feel the words brushing through my mind, carried by the wind. 'Take your own life to save his. This is my last offer. End yours, and I will save his. A life for a life, that is my price now.'

A foreign-looking knife appears in my hand, put there as if by magic.

'Slice your throat, spill your blood, paint the snow in scarlet red!' It orders me.

A low mist forms all of a sudden and freezes under the cold temperature, turning into snowflakes that twirl in the air around me, carrying a sinister sing-song with them.

'Deep in this blue-beating heart,
is where your bones will lay to rest.
A willing sacrifice is the final offer
made of scarlet spilling red...
For such a violent final test,
a life for a life it's fair to ask.
You must decide now, but do it fast,
The offer was made, but not to last.'

The creature's voice rings loud above the eerie whispered sing-song. 'I have waited long enough, Rabbit Girl. A life for a life is offered. I need you to give me your answer.'

I have no choice, I tell myself as I grip the handle of the knife tightly and take quick short breaths, trying to prepare for what I have to do. My hands are shaking, but I am not afraid.

I'm cold and tired, but not afraid.

I'm not a coward. I can do this.
I have to save my brother. No matter the cost.