chapter one - broken record

"wait, wait, COLE WAIT! i have one," braeden said, getting cole to raise his hands in surrender as he walked back to his seat. dylan laughed at braedens excitement from his seat on the couch where he laid buried by blankets.

the boys were hanging out in braeden's small apartment, going back and forth playing records and just talking with each other.

"fine, but i get the next one," cole said, sitting on the arm of the couch near dylan's head.

"yes, of course. but i really wanna listen to this one," braeden said, slowly speaking as he turned the record case in his hands around, "where the hell is the opening?"

just as he finished his words, the record slipped out and hit the wooden floor, breaking into three pieces.

braeden gasped loudly, dylan's jaw slightly dropped and he had a sort of amused and sad smile on his face as cole calmly said, "and there you go. karma."

"NO!" braeden yelled out, cautiously lowering himself to the ground to pick up the pieces of the record.

"wait, what record was it?" dylan asked curiously, slightly peeking his head up to try and see what was in braedens hand.

"abbey road! and it's dead now!" braeden said in a loud voice, whining and slightly laughing in disbelief and at his misfortune and the broken record. "i just bought it cause i couldn't find my other one! DAMMIT!"

"that sucks. you hate to see a good record go," cole said, his chin resting on his palm as he watched braeden hold the record's pieces close to his chest.

"this sucks. but i guess i have a reason to check out that record store now," he said as he sighed.

"the one by that coffee shop we went to the other day?" dylan asked.

"yeah," braeden answered. "i cant believe i've never been in there."

"it's a cool place," cole commented. "there's only like four staff members and they're all really nice and always play good music. smells good too."

"the staff or the store?" dylan asked with an amused smile.

"both," cole joked, and they all laughed.

"i guess i'll go there then. maybe tomorrow. are you guys doing anything tomorrow?" braeden asked his friends.

"lydia and i were thinking to make a trip to santa monica. we have a bet going on how many rides are on the pier and we'd rather go than look it up," dylan answered.

"sounds fun," braeden said. "cole?"

"i have to pick my cousin up from the airport, then drive him to his dad's house in anaheim," cole answered, getting up to pick another record to play since braedens would not be getting played.

"damn, okay. i guess i'll just go alone then," braeden scoffed as he pretended to be upset and even offended.

"yeah, poor you," dylan said. "just make sure you don't break any records there."

"ha. ha. ha," braeden said, dramatically moving his head side to side as he said each ha. "that's so funny, you know, since i just broke my freaking record!"

"it is kinda funny," cole said as he put a led zeppelin record on.

"you guys are mean," braeden said as he shook his head at his friends, cracking a smile because he'd rather laugh about the situation then cry over the broken record. sure, he never got to listen to it, but it was okay because he was going to buy a new one tomorrow.

☀︎︎

im so excited about this story. i hope you like it so far :)