Prologue

***********************************************************************

Thirteen-year old Alina Armstrong held her grandpa's hand as he showed her around the Department of Veterans Affairs building. She did not find the VA very interesting since it was mostly a place where veterans received counseling for things such as PTSD, but to her grandpa, the place was like a second home. He himself was a veteran and used to be a part of the United States Air Force, something that Alina was very proud of.

"I'm going to introduce you to someone," her grandpa announced, looking fondly down at Alina.

Alina smiled up at her grandpa and nodded.

"I think you're going to like him," he continued. "He has a very fine sense of humor." Alina's grandpa led her by the hand to a man wearing a plad white shirt and brown khakis. He also had dark skin and a goatee.

"Gerald," the man greeted her Grandpa. "Good to see you, man."

Alina's grandpa let go of her hand and gave the man a hug. "Sam Wilson," her grandpa greeted. "It's good to see you." Alina's grandpa gestured to Alina and smiled. "Sam, this is my granddaughter, Alina."

"Well, isn't it nice to finally meet you," Sam said, shaking Alina's hand.

Alina smiled at Sam Wilson. She was happy to finally meet the man who had helped her grandpa get through so much trauma in the past. In fact, she owed him more than she could express. Without Sam, her grandpa would have had a much harder time getting over the stress that had plagued him over the years ever since he left the Air Force. Alina hated those days. The days when she and her family would visit her grandpa only to discover that he was in no mood to talk and not even acting like himself. Sam had, in a manner of speaking, saved her grandpa's life.

"Well, now that introductions are over," her grandpa began, "I have so much to tell you, Sam..." Suddenly her grandpa clutched his chest.

"Are you okay, Grandpa?" Alina asked.

He didn't answer her. Instead his breathing rate increased, and his eyes seemed struck with fear.

"What's happening?!" Alina screamed.

"Oh my god!" Sam yelled. He quickly tried to catch her grandpa as he lost consciousness and fell to the floor.

Alina stared in horror at her grandpa. "Do something!" she demanded.

Sam pulled out his phone and dialed a number which Alina assumed was 911. She started to breath uncontrollably every time she looked at her lifeless grandpa on the floor. Unable to take the stress any longer, she moved away to a nearby hallway. The sound of ambulance sirens soon filled her ears, but this only made her heart beat faster.

He can't die! He just can't died like that! Times of when her grandpa took her fishing flooded her mind, times of when he showed her how to start a fire for camping, times of when he told her stories of his childhood, or just times of him being there for her.

"Alina!" a voice shouted. She looked up. It was Sam. He came jogging towards her. When he reached her, he gripped her in a tight hug.

Alina held onto Sam for dear life, practically digging her nails into his back. "Wh-What happened?" Alina squeaked out, her voice hoarse.

Sam let go of her and answered her question immediately. "He-He had a heart attack."

"No! Nooo!" Alina screamed. She slammed her body against a wall and crossed her arms, clutching them with her nails so tightly that blood was drawn. "Nooo!"

"Alina! Stop! You're going to hurt yourself!" Sam yelled.

But before anymore could be said, a faint glow surrounded Alina's hands and a bright light shot out from them, burning the wall on the opposite side of the hallway. This got Alina's attention, and she immediately stopped thrashing. "Oh my god!" she exclaimed. She locked eyes with Sam.

"What the hell was that?!" Sam inquired.

"You-You weren't supposed to see that."

Sam inhaled a deep breath and released it. "Wait, so let me get this straight. You have powers?"

Alina nodded. "Y-Yeahhh."

Sam crouched down and looked up at Alina's tear stained face. He took her hands in his own and squeezed them. Alina was amazed. After what she had just blasted from her hands, Sam still trusted her enough to hold her hands, knowing that she could probably loose control again at any second.

"I'm sorry about your grandpa," Sam began. "I care about him too, and if things go all right at the hospital, there's a good chance that he will be okay. But I need you to be honest with me right now, okay?"

Alina nodded.

"Who else knows about what you can do?"

Alina's gaze fell to the floor. "No one else...just you."

"Alright," Sam said.

It was true. No one other than herself knew about her powers. She had first discovered her ability to harness the energy of a star back in the fifth grade, and since then, Alina had learned to control it. She would often play around with her powers in her bedroom alone at night when no one else was awake. No major accidents usually happened, but when they did, Alina was always prepared with plenty of water bottles and a fire extinguisher hidden in her closet to put out any flames that may have accidentally been started. It wasn't until today that she had truly lost control for a second. It was now clear to Alina that very strong emotions can, in fact, make her loose control.

Something stirred within Alina, and she immediately made eye contact with Sam. "You can't tell anyone about my powers," she begged. "Please promise me you won't."

Sam smiled. A smile that made Alina feel safe and secure inside. She knew right then that she could trust him. "I won't, and I promise. I owe it to you, and I owe it to your grandpa," Sam said.

Relief filled inside of Alina. "Thank you."

Sam let go of Alina's hands and rose to his feet. "So, you can control it, right?" Sam questioned.

Alina nodded. "This was actually the first time I have lost control since I first got them."

Sam arched an eyebrow before something seemed to click within him. He pulled out his phone from his back pocket. "Take out your phone," he ordered.

"Why?" Alina asked.

"So if you ever need something or assistance, you can call me."

Alina grinned, even though sadness for her grandpa still swelled inside of her. "Or so you can call me if you need assistance," she joked, trying to lighten the mood.

Sam chuckled. "Now I doubt that will ever happen."

Author's Note: Don't be a silent reader! Remember to vote, comment, share, and give me your theories and thoughts! Constructive criticism and any criticism for that matter is always welcome! Know any other Tom Holland's Spider-Man fans? Let them know about  this story!