Get Vaccinated

I'd slept in the day I was due to have my vaccination. It was my only plan for the day other than staying home and getting work done- so obviously I thought I wouldn't need to have a full face of makeup for that.. However, now I was having second thoughts.

I couldn't have possibly predicted it, as I came into the booth where I was due to receive my vaccine. My breath was taken away in an instant when I laid my eyes upon the doctor. It was really him, the handsome guy from my year in sixth form. His perfect raven hair glistened, though it was shorter now, and he didn't compulsively run his hands through it every 5 seconds like he used to. I desperately tried not to shake. sitting down in the chair he nodded towards, it was still impossible to control my essential tremor.

"Hey," he said with a poker face, facing away from me, looking busy on his computer.
"Hi," I smiled very awkwardly, tucking my hands between my legs in the chair in which I sat. He moved away from the computer at last, then gently smiled and began to talk to me. He wasn't the most social doctor to say the least.

"I've seen you elsewhere before," he said, looking me up and down
"Oh, yeah! I recognise you from sixth-form, " I responded, grinning shyly and leaning inwardly to stop my awkward limb spasms.
"Yeah, me too," he gave me the fake white-boy smile he always does in photos.. He'd barely changed.
"Right, okay let's see... can you tell me your date of birth please?"

He ran through a couple questions, the usual- just touching on allergies and confirming it was me who was meant to be receiving the jab. Then..

"Um.. are you pregnant?" The air fell still.. and somehow more awkward than it'd been before. His voice was so distant when he asked that, he'd spoke into his computer screen rather than projecting his voice in my direction.
"Oh! nope," I breathed a small laugh,
"Okay," he said, once again, very quiet. He spun steadily back to me on his computer chair, and began- "Alright,"

He fiddled around with some doctory stuff, preparing my dose of the vaccine and such.
"So how've you been since year 13? Did you go to uni?" He blatantly questioned - I knew it was one of the happy distraction tactics to prevent patients from tensing up as the needle went in... But I couldn't help but feel so special when he was inviting me to tell him about myself. I already knew everything about him, this role reversal was like a glitch in the system— a fourth wall break?

"Oh yeah, I did. I went to Bristol," I replied, "What about you?" I gulped, wow... I'd just actually asked him a direct question.
"I went to Cambridge," he answered, gripping my shoulder with one hand which made my heart beat like crazy. Then.. I felt the tip of the needle pierce my skin.