Chapter 8

Xavier's pov-

I didn't realise that it was three years ago me and Lavender were laughing at the jokes Miranda made. I look at her, the eyes she had her brown eyes I have to admit that those eyes I held so much love for.

Then, our relationship was tested not only with Danielle's plan but our age, our differences. I keep reminding her that no matter what our status is she will always be the love of my life. And she trusts me, loving me wholeheartedly.

Times flew in a blink of an eye. It was long memorable for me and maybe for her. I never recall any of our memories as we decide to go on with our path. But, when Danielle came to my office last week, it made me realise how pain and hate and jealousy will lead to.

And I also realised that I didn't give Lavender the chance at all. The chance to save our dying relationship, I knew partly it was my mistake but what do you want me to do? Run back to her when she had already forgotten about me.

Brandon was right, I should have listened to everyone before making my own conclusions in my head and Danielle, I trust her. Perhaps, it's my fault for believing her more than Lavender.

I don't blame Danielle. I knew she had feelings for me and I already explained to her that we are family and nothing more. I guess the feelings she held when she decided to do that is pure hate for her.

I never once met or encountered her when we both lived in the same city. Probably avoiding one another is the best, right?

I heard the door crack, Vanessa came in with a tray in her hand smiling at me as she closed the door. My fiancé, after Lavender left my office that day, I didn't plan to waste my time drinking but I had to.

I met her there, sitting alone in the corner. I thought when I tried to approach her to use her to forget Lavender, she made the move to give our one night stand a chance. It feels like she's a miracle in disguise.

"Hii," she beams, "your coffee. Don't overwork yourself today, remember we had a date with my parents." She settled on the couch across my table.

"Alright."

"What are you thinking?"

"Nothing, just work."

"Don't lie, Lincoln." She leaned back, crossing her arms.

"Still thinking about her? I'm not mad about that, Xav. But, it was four years ago. I think it's time for you to forget her. You're marrying me." She sighs looking away.

"Okay, don't forget today." She said getting out.

I had already forgotten her. I'm. But, the guilt that I have in my heart was something that isn't easy to remove. Eternally, we won't be together, and I too will carry that feeling of shame and regret with me as for how long I live.

I look at Vanessa walking to me, I don't deserve her. She reminds me of her, the times we spent together all the memories of Lavender swirling around in my head.

If I ever listened to her, our love story may still be the same. But, that changed. Now, I need to focus on the bright side of my life and live my life like we never met and regret one thing.

****

Danielle's pov-

I exhale the air that I had been holding on to. I don't want to confront Lavender as soon and in this way but what I can do now is beg for forgiveness. I knew this girl for almost three years, I don't know how she will react.

Does she even know that I caused her to break up with Xavier?

"Hii," I greeted the front desk girl.

"Oh, hello." She seemed shocked to see me, "how can I help you?" She questions.

"I want to see Lavender?"

"Do you make an appointment?"

"No,"

"Wait, let me see. She's probably busy." She said, picking up the phone to call someone.

"Name?"

"Danielle Patrick."

Silence.

"You need to walk straight and go left, that's her office." She smiles as she puts back the phone.

This is it. It feels like I'm seeing her again for the first time when Xavier introduces her to us. I tremble and shiver, back then because I'm mad at her but this time it's because of the truth I hold within myself.

I knocked on the door, "come in" she said.

Coming in I see her smile at me, does she know or not?

"Hii, Danie. It's been so long since the last time we met, right?" She puts the file in her hand.

"Yes," I replied. Sitting at the couches she points to sit.

"What are you doing here?" She seems to not know the truth.

"I came to apologise." She froze.

"I'm sorry, Lavender. For breaking your relationship with him." Silence, she breathed taking a moment to accept what I just said.

"So, it's you." Tears visibly piled up in her eyes. "Why did you do that?" She asked, holding the anger and tears that she had been holding all these years.

"I envy you, Lavender. I love Xavier. I tried so many things to win his heart but you, you don't even have to." I said my truth, the truth why I did that, why I hate her. She's stolen my first love, and I destroyed her first love.

She scoffs back, "are you happy?" she asks.

"No, I'm not." Trying to stay composed, "I'm not the slightest happy with what I have done to both of you, Lavender. I'm so sorry." Even if tears stream out of my eyes. It doesn't have the power to go back to one years ago.

"I'm fine. But, I won't forgive you yet. And I don't hate you for it. We all are happy with our path now so better to forget it." She said,

"You can leave now, I'm busy. And there's no meaning to it but I'm glad that you did that."

And then, I leave. I look back at this huge building she earned and built. And still, shocked. I knew that their relationship had so many problems but maybe because of me they couldn't protect it.

People changed, he's changed, she's changed so am I. I make mistakes but I also learnt from them. The burdens and guilt have lessened a bit.

Maybe in this life we had, we weren't all happy and sad. Going different ways in our life, I realised from a small mistake we change whether it's for the bad or the good.

If I haven't told you, Lavender is going to marry soon.

I don't know, but I wish to see them together. Though, not this time. But, I'm happy for them.