Chapter 6- Gryffindor

Severus swallowed, the strong liquor burning down his throat. The wizard smiled then let out a hearty laugh. "You are as brave as your reputation tells. Perhaps... perhaps we can come to an agreement after all," the wizard said, taking another drink himself.

Feeling no ill effects from the drink, Severus assumed it was a test. He didn't like tests. He didn't like being toyed with. But maybe the reason for the test would become clearer with time, and he knew he didn't hold the cards in this situation regardless. "What are your terms?" he asked.

"If you are asking, then you must think that I hold the answer. I do not. But I know the one who does. And it is fate it seems that has brought us all together," the wizard said, leaning back in his chair.

Severus was a patient man, but this was becoming convoluted. He had no time to waste, and this wizard was wearing at his patience. He felt like the wizard was being intentionally vague, waiting for him to ask the right question, and he had no insight to the riddle.

"You obviously know what I desire, and that I would give anything to attain it," Severus said, leaning back in his own chair as if he had all the time in the world to await the wizard's answer.

"Yes. I know. Do you know what happened to Sirana?" the wizard asked.

"No, I do not," he answered simply.

"A war had been waging, Professor Snape. For longer than you can imagine. Good against evil, if you will...for a war that lasts is surely one that decides the fate of many. The end of the war is in sight, and I am ready for its ending," the wizard took another drink, his gaze drifting towards the fire. "A battle was fought for your wife, Severus...may I call you Severus?" he asked, looking back.

"You may. And what may I call you?" Severus asked, taking the opening to perhaps find more out about this wizard as he thought about what the wizard said about the war and his wife. Sirana. He knew nothing of a war, other than the Wizarding war, which had been won. Sirana...even the thought of her name brought pain to his heart, and he closed his eyes a moment, breathing in a long breath to steady himself.

"You may call me by the name I know is in your mind. Yes, I am he. Lest you think me mad, I will provide you with some proof," the wizard rose from his chair, and Severus followed suit.

Severus knew he didn't need proof. He had felt the power from the wizard and had known that it was not common. He was curious though of what the wizard would offer as such.

The wizard reached to his side. Drawing a sword from its sheath. It was the sword of Gryffindor.

Severus had been in possession of the Sword of Gryffindor for some time now. It came to those who needed it, as it had to Harry Potter in the Forest of the Dean. Last Severus knew, it was at Hogwarts, hidden behind Dumbledore's portrait, awaiting its next calling.

Severus suddenly felt the gravity of the moment, and that he may be called upon once again to put all that he held dear on the line. Perhaps it  was his lot in life, he thought. He wasn't oblivious of his own power, or modest by any means, and he was aware that being a powerful wizard held its own price. Now, his thoughts couldn't escape the possibility of once again being at the crux of a war... one that he wasn't even aware was waging.