An Open Ocean- G.R.

Once you hear their thoughts for yourself, you'd understand why you can't believe everything you think.

My grandpa told me that once. It took years to understand what he meant. I was always convinced the old man was never in his right state of mind. Until it happened. Now, what happened exactly is a mystery. All I know is it happened. And that's when his words clicked.

I hand the lunch lady my money. She counts the singles and purses her lips.

"Not enough, kid. Need another dollar," she says, returning my smile with a bitter one.

"Wait, what? I gave you five," I lower my brow.

"Yeah, and? It's six."

I hear the person behind me. What an idiot.

My knuckles whiten against the food tray. "Since when?"

"Changed two days ago. Get with the program," She motions her hands to the group of people behind me. "C'mon, you're holding up the line."

I huff and give my tray back to the lady, but not before snatching a fry off of it. What a bitch. One dollar short– big deal!

As I walk closer and closer to the lunch tables, everyone becomes louder and louder. I sit down at the round table near the middle of the room and greet my friends.

"What's up, Grayson!"

I turn my head to Malcolm and grin, already knowing what he's expecting as a reply. "The ceiling, duh."

The group of 6 boys roll their eyes; all besides Malcolm. It's amusing every time Malcolm fishes for a corny joke and the group gets a little annoyed.

"Uh, forgetting something?" Matthew gives me a funny look.

"Hm?"

"Your lunch. Where is it?"

"Oh! Yeah, well it turns out it's six bucks now. Not five," I frown.

Everyone but Tristen scoffs. Tristen is, well, on the opposite end of financial affairs you could say. His dad bought a house in France just because he liked the Zillow ad.

"That's ridiculous!"

"Didn't they already raise it?"

"What the actual fuck?"

Everyone talks over one another, making the room even louder.

The voices mixed with thoughts being smushed together overlapping one another is enough for a toddler to get a migraine. Familiar pain warms my temples.

I hold my palm up, signaling them to quiet. Thank God.

"I know, I know. Apparently, they changed it a couple of days ago."

Ben shrugs his shoulders. "Whatever, man. No reason to be hung up about it." He slides over his container of chocolate goldfish. "Help yourself. I already had a sandwich while you were waiting in that long ass line."

Ben then starts on a rampage about a story that's been playing in his head all day. A group of girls he saw while surfing yesterday evening. I try to focus my attention on him enthusiastically, but the entire conversation is as dull as a dishwasher.

I was practically at that beach. He couldn't stop thinking about it the entire math test period, and all I wanted to do was scream at him and those stupid girls. I seriously couldn't write a single number on my page.

"...and they all had the most gorgeous smiles! Oh, especially blondie. You guys shoulda been there," he gushes.

"Were they surfing? 'Cause all I'm getting at is they were sitting around on a picnic blanket and giggling as they watched the sunset... On a surfers beach."

Ben swerves his head around and gives Matthew an exasperated look. "I'm not done, Matthew."

I snort. Of course, he's not. My chin rests in my hand.

He continues, hands flying through the air and all. "Yes, there definitely was surfing involved. They're not morons. The one with the nice smile- blondie- she wasn't very good at it. The only tricks I saw her do were a Bottom Turn and a Cutback. The brunette– Sarah I think it was– is the best at it. She did a Floater and was noseriding the damn thing."

Everyone gasps but me. I aggressively chew on a handful of goldfish, my eyes wandering across the room.

They land on a boy sitting alone. I focus on him. His mind feels calm, like an open ocean. Like an escape. A wash of relaxation rushes over me and my face softens as all tension leaves it. He turns up the volume of his earbuds. Girl of My Dreams. Huh, seems like a good song. Visions of his life flood through me. His neighbor recommended it to him. Max. He has a crush on him. But his neighbor has a girlfriend.

He closes his eyes, wearing an expressionless face. Oh, but how his mind speaks differently. He's in pain. He's in love. He's lonely.

His thoughts begin to whirl faster and faster, now intertwining with mine. I break away and tune back into my own table, my mouth slightly agape.

Tristen brings up stocks and I grimace.

"I'm gonna go to the library."

"Again?" Ben says, exasperated.

I chuckle softly. "Well, lunch is almost over anyway, so..."

"Whatever, man. I'll see you later, 'kay?"

"Yup," I wave to the rest of the group.

The library is the best place on Earth. Well, besides the beach. It's so quiet.  It's easy to get lost in your own thoughts, and only your own thoughts. There's no need to worry about being intruded on by someone else's overbearing ones.

Well, besides the librarian. She has pretty loud thoughts. I don't mind hers, though.

I stroll to the fantasy section and hum the song the boy was listening to. My fingers graze against the spines and the smell of old books overwhelms my senses.

The Once and Future King

A Wizard of Earthsea

Dune

The Princess Bride

The City of Ember

I trace my fingers back to Dune and slide it off the shelf. Grandpa talked about this one. He said it sucked ass. I smirk. Maybe I'll read it out of spite, just to tell him how much of a good book it is. I mean, surely he has to be wrong. Apparently, this is a classic. Why would it be a classic if it's so boring?

I take the book to the checkout and greet Mrs. Lynch.

"How was your weekend, Grayson?" she gives her signature smile that always meets her warm chocolate eyes.

"It was alright. We won the game, surprisingly."

"You did? Good, we needed that win. Season's almost over."

"I know. Too bad, huh? They really should make surfing a sport here. I'm telling ya, it would do our school some good."

She chuckles and hands me the book. "And I'm telling you, it's never going to happen."

Mr. Showning is too caught up in being traditional to actually do something productive.

I let out a snort and quickly realize she didn't really say anything funny.

"What's so funny?"

I bite my lip. "Oh, uh, nothing. Just thought of something funny. Anyways, the lunch period is over in a couple of minutes so I should probably head to class. Nice talking to you, Mrs. Lynch!" I stumble outta that place like there's no tomorrow.

The hallway slowly fills up with students. Just in time before the rush, my locker is only a few feet away. I shove my AirPods in, hitting shuffle on my playlist. Where is My Mind plays full blast as a relaxed smile plants itself on my face. I grab my books for Creative Writing and saunter to room 183.