Ch. 1

Unmarked

Maybe it was the fact that this wasn't the fist time he'd been out so late. Maybe my mind was just messing with me. He was a big boy. He could take care of himself. He had been doing this for years. He knew how to handle even the toughest situations when it came to...them. My feet tapped the floor in a steady rhythm, I ran my hands over each other and played with my finger tips. I adjusted my posture on the couch and stared at the black TV screen a few yards in front of me. I don't know why I was so paranoid tonight all of a sudden. I mean, this was practically a routine. But something in my mind told me something bad might happen tonight, and it terrified me. I thought for a moment about calling him, just to see were he was or make sure he was okay. But I quickly brushed the thought off.

I suddenly heard a key jingle in the lock and the door opened to a familiar face. Relief fell over me and I let out a long happy sigh.

“Why'd you wait up? Your usually always asleep when I get home.” Liam said, I could see the fresh and dried blood stains on his old t shirt that I would have to try and wash out. Again. He took his duffle off his shoulder and threw it to the side to give me a big hug.

“I know, for some reason I was just a little more worried tonight. Was everything okay? I can you must have caught some.” I released from his grip and move my eyes from his bag to the fresh stains on his shirt.

“It was actually not a bad night, I caught a few. But there spreading like crazy Luce, more and more are turning, getting bitten. And its the newly turned ones that are the hardest to kill.”

He explained, walking past me into the kitchen. I smiled at his nickname for me he rarely used. I watched as he opened the fridge and took out a beer, popped the cap off and flopped on to the couch, clearly exghausted.

“I know, its crazy, and you would think by now people would catch on. All the killings and un explained dissapearences. Especially when the bodies are drained of blood... I mean really?”

I sat down on the couch next to him on the other side, putting my feet up. Liam took a sip out of his beer bottle and looked around.

“Is Mell home?” He questiones, furrowing his eyebrows. “You know I hate it when your home alone.”

“Shes in her room asleep, relax. And you know im 17, I dont need a babysitter 24/7.” I argued back, crossing my arms over my chest.

“You know that, Lucy. But were not dealing with robbers or thugs. Were dealing with vampires. And I would never forgive myself if I let something happen to you too.” Liam stood up off the couch, holding his beer in one hand and making hand gestures with the other. He was tired and didnt feel like arguing with me... Which was what we did a lot of the time now.

I sighed, giving in. “I know...” I admitted. “Im sorry, ill promise ill be careful.” I sat up off the couch to and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

“im off to bed, dont stay up too late.” I warned, and walked to my small room in our apartment. I closed and locked the door behind me before giving into exaughtion and laying on my bed. I single light from my bed side table lamp wall all that lit the room. My old, worn out bed squeaked when I sat on it. I ran my fingers over the rips and tears in the bottom sheets. Counting the pieces of frayed fabric. My eyes wandered next to me and found myself staring at my only family picture. The only one I had. I looked closly at all of our faces. We looked so happy. I picked it up and ran my finger tips over the sharp edges of the frame. The bright, smiling faces of my mother and father were all I had left of them. The only memory. I cringed at the thought of memoires. I didnt want to think about this before bed. I kissed the frame gently and set it back down on the table. Laying my head on the pillow I tunred the small light off and pulled a blanket over my shoulders.

But I couldnt help but think about my past, like I did every night. How my parents had been murderd when I was only 10 by one the blood suckers, leaving me and my older brother, Liam to live with our aunt Mell. Liam swore the day our parents died he would devote his life to killing vampires, and protecting me. And now were here, 7 years later in our old apartment in Seattle. With my brother...the vampire hunter.