the simplicity of a lace veil is just perfect enough to conceal one's darkest secrets that are purely forbidden to even possess.

nishimura riki wasn't supposed to be in love with his enemy, with his nemesis, with the one being who he was forced to compete against with his entire existence.

the devil wasn't supposed to be in love with the angel.

he was ashamed of himself, beyond disgusted by the own desires his heart beheld; he was petrified of the fact that he had absolutely no control over his own inclinations that would never go away as much as he tried.

all his life he was forced to put on this certain persona — one that would make civilians on earth talk lowly of him or use his name with a negative connotation, one that would make people have nightmares about his mere presence, all because he was born into a life he didn't ask to be born in.

he was everyone's biggest fear, and with that he had no choice but to play the role everyone expected him to.

devils were taught to curse and poison innocent souls, to corrupt the minds of the pure and cast spells that would make the rest of their lives a series of unfortunate events.

he was strictly constrained to this lifestyle until death.

ni-ki didn't want to kill people, he didn't want to intoxicate those poor humans' minds with ill personalities or turn a pure-hearted soul into one of demonic tendencies. there was no satisfaction in watching people suffer under his doing, there was no gratification in witnessing people falling to their deaths at the palm of his hand.

especially when the angel who ruled the other side as him, now held a strong resentment towards his sole being.

that was a part of their destiny after all, so no one was to blame for this. it's written in the books, that with every new set of angels and devils, there would always be an enmity between them — one that couldn't be unbroken or resolved no matter what.

however, even if you can't change what fate has in store for you nor the actions you're sought out to do, the heart — remaining unrevealed — can sing a song that no one can hear.

because no one expected any form of romantic flourishes or any variation of love to blossom between them. whether it be unrequited or not, it was simply unknown and even forbidden. they were sworn enemies and competed over the moralities of humans, how could they love one another?

so of course that was yet another reason why ni-ki held such a profound bitterness towards not only himself, but the universe for setting him up in the way that a happy ending on his behalf, was simply unachievable.

even when he did live up to others expectations as to what a devil was supposed to do, only backlash came his way for actually fulfilling his role. no one liked him, no one checked up on him, no one cared for his well being.

it was a life of solitude, and no matter what direction he took or what he did — only spews of menacing hatred came his way.

if he decided against a certain task ordered forth, he was rendered useless, a weakling, a fool who didn't even have the courage to attain his assigned duties that were supposed to be accomplished with ease.

but if he did go against his own heart just to be accepted by others and satisfy their expectations, he was viewed as the most detested person on earth, someone who deserved to be deprived of love and affection, a being who was cold-hearted without one trace of sympathy for the people he corrupted in the flick of a finger.

there was no way out of this endless cycle, there was no way he could ever win or get anyone on his side regardless of how much he pushed his own limits to gain those trickles of validation.