Chapter Twenty-Four

A soft hiss came out of the exhaust tube from behind — filling the back of vehicle with grey fumes. Slowly, she clicked the engines off and hopped off. Marshall followed behind her and was laughing to himself.

          "Pretty impressive for a first try," he teased, gesturing his head towards the new vehicle she just drove; she playfully nudged his shoulders and smiled at this.

          It took them almost half the day to finally get a job that would hire pups into an establishment yesterday. It really was difficult as most rejected them for being "canines" and that the department of health would react violently to this. But to their luck, one pitied both of them and hired them in his restaurant as waiters.

          Yes. Shocking. The last job you think they'd land on; but yesterday, they already had a discussion about sanitary protocols. They are to groom themselves before they could begin working. To which brings us into an early crisp morning scenery.

          Early at the Look-out, they quietly slipped into town, leaving a small note to Ryder that they were to attend something important and may take the whole day — just to clear any suspicions placed onto them.

          Now, back to the worn-down yard of the modest restaurant, the two of them began to tame their fur to safe check that it wouldn't mischievously fall onto any meal. The place pulsed an awful scent of garbage that rots behind, and the petrichor made no things better.

          "Pass me the hairspray," tells Marshall, as the Husky pawed him the said item. A brume of the hair tamer came in contact with his' and began shaping it. During the process, his fur became stiffer and felt uncomfortable against his flesh — his body felt like it was being covered in tape residue and fish.

          "We should buy the dog gel soon," he uttered in the midst of struggle "Not only is the human hairspray stinky, it's also not good in the long run as it's toxic."

          "You can say that again," as the Husky half-heartedly applied the said product. That whole minute was hell to experience, it was as if they wafted through a wasteland and rolled in its radioactive lake. It was a miracle that they're still standing.

          As the numbers began to stack, so did their time wasted turned into a haul. Both knew it was time for them to begin their shift as well.

          Dutifully walking in to the backdoor of the said establishment, the kitchen atmosphere was filled with fresh garlic and onion bathing in oil. The duo crackled in excitement as they began the course — truly, a power couple to begin any dish.

          Marshall had to remind himself to not get side-tracked from its deceiving upfront. I mean.. In all genuity, it was no fallacy that the dish being prepared is scrumptious and is in preparation to attract one's senses, but he musn't forget what he truly was here for. In addition to that reminder, he is to work longer than Everest, so if he's to make ends meet without any suspicions arising within the other PAW Patrol members, he should establish a tunnel vision to guarantee a speedy yet steady result.

          Looking around, it seemed that it wasn't set to open soon, not in the next ten minutes perhaps, so to busy himself, he picked up the cloth that he eyed earlier and began wiping the tables for later. It too, was an excuse to explore the decent-sized restaurant himself.

          The diner was decorated with this retroesque vibe. But rather than an upbeat setting that would both be an eye-candy and sore, it's tinted with slight muted colors, and not a speck of furniture to be out place. It had red-alternating-white glossy couch, a white table with metal rims, and retro decors that hung misfitly perfect on the walls — just above the slim strip of two-row black and white checkered backsplashes.