The Turning of the Tide

Although there's great tragedy, there's also great beauty in this story. It has helped me deal with a lot of things that have personally plagued me and in writing a story for Draco, I feel I have been able to address the things we sometimes brush off as insignificant.

I hope this story can bring about not only a sense of familiarity with the characters, but also a sense of hope as we venture into a new year with new possibilities.

1

"I fought the fight now only dark remains"

Much had changed since the battle of Hogwarts; especially for the atavistic Malfoy family.

Even though they had left the scene before the final battle had commenced on the grounds of Hogwarts, they were still held accountable for their role in the war. They remained out of the public eye, but after the Ministry had been reinstated, the Aurors came for one Lucius Malfoy.

Narcissa had managed to convince her husband to go quietly for the sake of the family, and with a subdued arrogance, Lucius Malfoy was sent to Azkaban Prison to serve out his sentence. Draco, on the other hand, had to face the repercussions of his actions, and was taken to the Ministry to receive trial. He would have received the same sentence as his father, had his mother not appealed against it.

Draco attended hearing after hearing, and answered question after question with as much candor as he could muster, his voice never wavering once. The one thing that kept him sane throughout the entire ordeal, was his mother.

Four weeks later, the verdict had been released. Draco could still remember the deep baritone of the Minister as he addressed the Wizengamot.

"The case for Draco Lucius Malfoy has been one for speculation amongst all departments within the Ministry. However, after further investigation and evidence provided by one Narcissa Malfoy, née Black, it has been considered by the Wizengamot that during the time of his alleged crimes; including but not limited to, aiding in the murder of one Albus Percival Wolfric Brian Dumbledore and serving as a spy to the Dark Lord; Mr Malfoy was in fact, still underage and can thus not be held accountable to the degree of others that have committed similar crimes."

Draco remembered the roar of outrage among the various witches and wizards that attended that day, most of whom had every reason to be upset by the declaration. Draco had made life difficult for many people in various ways; he was quite surprised that they hadn't hexed him the moment he walked in.

"Calm yourselves," Kingsley declared, ushering them to silence. Once he was certain the silence would remain, he continued. "The Wizengamot has reached a unanimous decision to excuse Mr Malfoy from trial and prosecution of the crimes he committed while under the legal age of seventeen. However, his actions during the war cannot be excused in the same fashion."

The list of Draco's transgressions had been substantially shortened due to the small detail of his age, but that had in no way lessened the severity of his actions thereafter. He hadn't made eye contact with the Minister at all as he listed the transgressions Draco would be held accountable for. He truly believed he would be joining his father in Azkaban, when Kingsley directed his attention to Draco.

"Your actions have cost a great deal for many people, Mr Malfoy, and by rights, you should be in a cell of your own in Azkaban prison. However..." Kingsley paused, and then turned to face the Jury. "Mr Malfoy has aided Mr Harry Potter a total of three times during the war in the attempt to defeat the Dark Lord. The first, I believe, was in Malfoy Manor when the defendant concealed Mr Potter's identity. On a second account, the defendant blatantly acted against the Dark Lord when he ran to aid Potter in handing him a wand. The third account was brought to my attention by Mr Potter himself. In the Forbidden Forest, Mrs Malfoy concealed Mr Potter's state of living from the Dark Lord, which inevitably led to our victory. Her actions as such, extend unto Mr Malfoy in the regard that she had done so only to confirm Mr Malfoy's safety"