ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴛᴡᴏ: ᴛÊᴛᴇ-À-ᴛÊᴛᴇ

【2.09】

09】

(n.) a private conversation between two people.

♡♡♡

"Quit hogging the blanket you little parasite, I don't bite." At the moment, the man and I were civil, but far from friendly. It was below freezing outside. We had one bag with a blanket and sleeping mat, each intended for only one person. We were trying to make it work for two because it was fucking cold, and the forest was too humid to start a good fire. By our feet, a weak flame fights against its environment.

"Well I do, so back off." I shot back. Our bodies were hidden under the low branch of one of the trees. Both of our injuries were treated best they could be, which still wasn't great. In pain and exhausted, our patience was minimal.

"You disgust me." He spits.

"Obviously not enough, because you're still too fucking close." I hiss and kick him away. Realistically, we both knew neither of us would be falling asleep. Not with our fresh scars.

"God, you're insufferable. Were you raised in the 'effing wild?"

"I was actually, you pretentious shit. Not all of us had the privilege of living with our family in a shelter." He pauses. I can feel him shuffle behind my back, likely sitting himself up.

"So? Where'd you go?" Genuine curiosity. Surprising.

"My parents took me in. They're nomadic demons."

"Come again?" He remarks in disbelief. I sit up.

"No way. You talk first. Then, I'll go." He scoffs.

"Why would I do that when I can bribe that story out of some kid with a plate of cookies?" I roll my eyes and lay down again. Even if I'm a bit disappointed, I accept that he doesn't want to say anything. Still...it's like I can hear him thinking. He shifts again.

"Glory bell wasn't as elite as Gracefield. Still, we were one of the top farms." Holy shit! He's actually going to spill! I listen in, but don't sit up again.

"I escaped with about twelve others. All over the age of eight. The escape plan was put together by myself and two friends; Lucas and Dina. Lucas was the levelheaded one...probably the smartest of the three of us. He was great at planning. Dina was the glue. She got all of the older kids involved and helped Lucas fit everyone into the plan." He says. I can't help but interrupt with a question.

"What about you? What did you do?" He sighs.

"I was the realist...and the pessimist." So not much has changed. I sit up and face him. He's staring blankly in front of him, at the weak fire. When he continues, I learn that their escape plan wasn't too different from my own. They escaped over the wall, too. Arguably, they were more successful because they never got caught.