Chapter 2- Sunset and Vine

Joe was knackered. Just completely, utterly exhausted. It was understandable of course, given that he had just come off of a thirteen-hour shoot.

He hastily threw himself onto the bed, too tired to even change out of his jeans. He rolled over to look at the clock and grimaced, realizing that in less than eight hours he'd be back on set.

It wasn't that Joe hated his job- very much the opposite. He was extremely grateful to be working at all, didn't think he'd be able to find work as an actor for at least another year, much less with one of the greatest living directors.

It was more so a matter of homesickness. LA was starting to get to Joe. He was growing tired of the unrelenting traffic and the city's obsession with showmanship, wanted nothing more than to be back in London at a pub with his mates. Joe had made friends in America, of course. Good ones like Garrett and Mackenzie. But even with their friendship, Joe still felt out of place. Like he didn't belong. Like he was too fucking weird and nerdy for Hollywood's standards.

Tonight he was feeling especially down on himself and had decided to opt for a quiet night in with some room service pizza and his new book.

Was it lame? Sure...but this was precisely what Joe needed after weeks of nonstop filming and partying.

Just as he had gotten comfortable underneath the hotel covers, there was a loud knock on the door. Joe laconically jogged over to open it, expecting to find the pizza he'd just ordered. Instead, he came face to face with Garrett.

"Well don't act so disappointed," Garrett jeered. "You're an actor in an Ang Lee film, you could at least pretend to be excited to see me."

"Sorry," Joe sighed. "I'm just hungry and I thought you were room service. You can come in though."

Garrett shook his head. "Nah, I'm actually here to take you out. We can eat on the road."

"I dunno man," Joe lamented, "I was kinda looking forward to my hot date with my book and pizza."

Garrett gave Joe a playful punch in the arm, adamant about his friend's participation in a drunken night out. "Please," he begged. "You gotta meet my friend Caleb- he's mad fun. He and his wife Lilly are throwing a party at the Bowery. You should come, it'll be a good time."

Joe still wasn't convinced. "Look, I'm sorry, but you go have fun," he exhaled.

Garret rolled his eyes. "I'm not taking no for an answer. Plus I'm buying," he added with a smile.

"Fine, let me get my coat," Joe huffed.

***

Joe was nursing a gin and tonic. He wasn't having a terrible time, but he certainly wasn't having a great time either. Somehow he had lost Garrett and was now stuck listening to some haughty music producer and his Instagram model fiancee drone on and on about their Turks and Caicos vacation.

He really didn't give a shit about the $100,000 a night cabana they stayed in, but he didn't want to be rude, so he tossed in an "oh, okay" and a "how nice" every couple of minutes.

Finally, enough was enough, with Joe desperate to get out of this hell-hole of a conversation. "Pardon me, but I'm going to go get a drink," he excused himself. "Can I get either of you one?"

"I'll have a vodka-diet coke," the model slurred. "I'm on the wedding diet, so no extra calories for me."

Joe nodded his head politely, even though he didn't really fancy getting her a drink after she and her fiancee had talked his ear off for the past half-hour without ever giving him the chance to speak.