CHAPTER 35

The Main Event

"Umm," I hesitated, what with all the Alphas eyes plus coach's stuck on me. I didn't know what they expected me to say, but I knew they expected much. Let's just hope I wouldn't be saying something stupid, "I think Kismet's fighting style is very umm unconventional."

"Unconventional?" sabi naman ni coach, intrigued but obviously unimpressed, "Can you elaborate?"

"Well, umm, what I mean is that Bards, as far as courses are concerned, usually specialize in stuns and crowd control. They're essential in playing supporting roles during skirmishes. However, Kismet could easily pass off as an Assassin with the amount of damage she inflicted to the golems," I explained. Judging by coach's expression, I'd think he agreed, "And that is not to discredit the massive stun she had created with that pink force field. That was amazing."

"Oh, my gosh. Thank you, Kuya. That means a lot," sabi niya tsaka siya yumuko, "We call it Fuchsia Field, and I made it extra wide today, too, for your debut. You know, just a little welcoming gesture."

You know what, I appreciated it. I appreciated the fact that she had to work extra hard just to welcome me into the team. But it didn't really help me in this situation, not gonna lie. If anything, it made me feel worse. Now, I felt like I needed to work twice as hard, harder than the rest of them, to make all their efforts worth it.

"Do you see things about Kismet's performance that needs improvement?" tanong ni coach.

"Well," I trailed off, glancing at Kismet who was looking at me expectantly, "Bards aren't really known for taking several hits since they're not really placed in the front row during clashing. With Kismet's Assassin-esque fighting style, she had to compromise what was left of her defenses to inflict damage. It's a good thing that she possessed the exceptional elusive skills all Bards should have to dodge all the attacks sent to her. However, had she been fighting against people with a little bit higher IQ than the Laschts, eventually an attack would have landed on her, and it would most probably be devastating."

I was expecting Kismet to at least make a disapproving face. But all I saw was a girl eager to learn and to improve herself. I mean, she had been a product of years of vigorous training and harsh criticisms during her trainee days as an idol. She probably heard things a lot worse than a comment from a contingency Wizardry representative. I doubted if she even cared about anything I said. I mean, it looked like she did.

"Wise observation," komento naman ni coach. The others were also giving me approving looks, and if I really paid attention, I could almost see the relief in their eyes. They were probably glad that their new Wizardry representative knew what he was doing. I was, too,

I aced all my exams in Warfare and Strategy at middle school, you didn't think I wasn't going to put it in good use, did you? At least I had that to offer on the table. My fighting style might not be the best, but if you put me in a round table, I'd be freaking deadly.

Involuntarily, I turned to glance at Nathan, probably a desperate attempt to explicit to read the room off of, and sure enough, as if he could read my mind, he gave me a proud smile and a quick thumbs up.

Thank God.

"Alright. Shall we keep the show going?" coach proceeded, "Poe, your turn."

x

Of course, coach would put me last. As if things weren't nerve-racking enough as it was. Imagine how terrified I felt when he called out each of my teammates' names one by one to perform, while I sit there to watch them obliterate the Laschts in the arena, like it was their second nature, like they were in their natural habitat. They looked like they already had everything figured out, from their fighting styles, to the timing, the positioning. They all nailed it.