III - Escape from Dror City

I walked faster and then slowed down, listening for footsteps. Sure enough, someone was echoing my movement.

At least three. So at least two others close by.

A squad consisted of five members, and typically during a search, Knights would divide up into squads.

Cursing quietly, I rushed into an alley. I didn't want civilians to get injured in the inevitable confrontation.

I just hope I come out of this alive.

"Halt!"

I quickened my steps as my eyes darted around, scanning for possible exits.

Twang!

Twisting towards the left slightly, I saw an arrow land where my head had been. The white and blue fletching could only mean one thing.

"They've got the city guards involved."

I turned suddenly, swinging my backsword out to meet a slashing broadsword.

"Not bad, but you still need some work, Jeffrey," I sneered, pushing my sword against his.

"Shut up, you traitor," he snarled, his blue eyes clouded with rage. "You deserve to die for turning your back to the Church."

I feinted a thrust which he fell for before knocking him out with the blunt side of my sword. "No pun intended, but you were never the sharpest tool in the shed."

I had disliked Jeffrey's brutish ways ever since our Academy days. He found pleasure in tormenting his targets before disposing of them, so I found it strange when he became a Knight.

"Quick as always, Edevane," a deep voice rang out.

I gasped, tightening my grip on my sword.

"Sir Silverwood."

I stood still as he slowly walked towards me. "It's been a long time, Edevane. Though this isn't how I imagined our meeting to be. What happened to the genius swordswoman who graduated at the top of her class?"

"She was lied to and betrayed."

"I'm sure we can discuss this calmly. I hope you will come with me quietly," he said, placing a hand on the hilt of his sword. "Otherwise, then I will be forced to take you back tied up even if you're my favorite student."

I smiled a little, lifting my sword in response. "Then let's duel, old man."

Silverwood had been like an uncle to me--especially at the Training Academy--who acted more like a father than my actual father. Yet, I knew he was deeply loyal to the Church, so his response didn't hurt too much. Just a little.

I lunged at him, swinging my blade sideways before flowing into an upward slice. He parried before quickly jabbing at me. Slipping under the sword, I feinted before slicing upwards. He dodged, but not quickly enough. There was now a shallow cut on his abdomen, though the skin was unbroken.

I grinned.

"Are you losing your touch, old man?" I asked.

Parrying another thrust, he replied, "It seems like you've been training a lot."

The alley was filled with sounds of steel clashing, but it was almost reminiscent of the frequent sparring sessions we had in the Academy.

"Why don't you come back, Eulalie?"

I grunted as I parried the heavier broadsword. "I can't, Uncle. The Church wants me dead."

Stepping sideways before swinging his blade down, he asked with his brows furrowed. "I didn't know that. The orders I received were to simply bring you back."