Chapter 41: The Encounter

"Chloe." The man says.

I turn around and see a man dressed in Factionless clothes.

He walks towards me and I start to back up. All the Fationless were surrounding us. I look to Caleb as he stands in the crowd.

He walks over to me and stands in front of me.

"Who are you?" I ask.

"I'm your father." The man says.

I was shocked.

"I think you have the wrong girl. My dad died when I was 2." I say.

"I am your father. I faked my death to get away from Jeanine and the evil of Erudite." He says.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. A tear slipped from my eye as I looked at him.

"It is you." I say softly.

He embraces me in a hug and I hug back. I could tell he was tearing up as well.

"Dad." I say as I hug him.

"I love you so much." He says.

"I love you too." I say.

I pulled away and looked at him. He wiped away his tears and looked at me. I smiled at him. I couldn't believe this was happening. After 14 years of thinking he was dead, he never was.

"I can't believe your actually here." I say softly with a smile.

"I've been trying to find you for so long." He says.

I smile knowing he cared for me after all these years.

"Can I ask you one thing?" I ask.

"Anything." He says.

"Why did you leave?" I ask.

"I needed to leave. Erudite is evil. Jeanine did so many wrong things. I had to get away from everything so I came here and I remarried." He said.

I nod and looked down at the ground.

All the Factionless were still looking at us.

"Who did you marry?" I ask him.

Just then Evelyn walked up and he wrapped his arm around her.

"Me." She says with a small smile.

I was shocked.

"Does my mom know about this?" I ask.

"Yes, that's why she doesn't like Factionless. And that's why she's kept you away for all these years." He says.

I nod. I had so many thoughts running through my mind. I couldn't even think straight.

"Is this why you asked me to join Factionless?" I ask Evelyn.

"Yes. I know you love your mother but she's done many horrible things." Evelyn says.

"I know." I say quietly.

"You could stay here." My father says.

"But mom will just come looking for me and drag me back to Erudite." I say.

"I won't let that happen." He says. "I promise." He says.

This was such a tough decision. Live Factionless with my dad or live in Erudite with my mom. I couldn't imagine when my mom found out that I now knew everything.

"Can I think about it?" I ask him.

"Of course. I'll love you no matter what you decide to do." He says.

"Thanks." I say.

He smiles before walking away with Evelyn. Caleb walks up to me and looks at me.

"I didn't expect that." I say.

"Neither did I." He says.

Caleb wraps his arm around me.

"I don't know what to do. I mean, my mother will be furious if she finds out." I say.

"Just think about it." Caleb says.

I nod. He leads me back to his room. I lay down on his bed and he lays down as well. I put my head on his chest and close my eyes. I feel sleep taking over and fall asleep instantly.