Chapter Ten: Insomnia Dreams and Midnight Saviors

Dedicated to TimmyToots13 for the amazing cover shown above. (let me know if I should change the cover to this one in the comments below)

ATTENTION: I have updated all of the chapters with some more Scottish slang in Iain's words, since he is Scottish and all. I know it seems silly for him to be Scottish, but it plays a part later on in the story, so it's actually really kind of important. That being said--I'm considering getting an editor--something I have NEVER done before, and I'm not very sure about it, but if I do get an editor, I would really like them to be from Scotland to help with the slang and stuff. Let me know what you think of the idea or if you know of a Scottish person willing to be my editor! 

also, please listen to the song, it's pretty important!

Chapter Ten – Insomnia Dreams and Midnight Saviors

          Their fighting was getting worse. I couldn’t sleep. I just wanted out of the house. I’d stayed away from Ben and Iain’s apartment since the last few times I was there ended in chaos. I mean, they got the bachelor pad for many reasons, and one wasn’t to provide a safe house for Ben’s little sister. But I couldn’t listen to my parents fight any longer.

          I got up out of bed, and pulled my hair up into a loose messy bun. I slipped on my black and gray Vans and snuck down the stairs quietly and slipped out the door.

          I walked down the sidewalk, bathing in the late yellow light of old street lights, dreaming in insomnia dreams. The faint sounds of crickets chirping and cars passing were the soundtrack of the late summer moon.

          I didn’t know where I was headed, really; my feet did all the talking, taking me to familiar places. I put my headphones on and listened to Radical Face, walking in circles and enjoying the faint murmurs of music that spoke to my soul.

          I walked and walked and walked. I felt hot tears stain my face. I didn’t even know why I was crying. But I was. And I knew I needed this. This walk of solace, this walk of finding myself this week, even if I wasn’t going to be the same person next week. I needed this. I needed to clear my head and let the stress of this week burn off as the rubber soles of my shoes smacked against the pavement.

          Everything was nonsense. I needed it all to end.

          I was there before I realized where I’d even ended up. Standing outside of the only place I knew to go to. I mean, I guess there was Mellie’s but she had caring, questioning parents. And here, well, here was here. I stood and faced the godforsaken building and pulled my earbuds out of my ears.

          “Kitten?” Iain’s deep husky voice called out to me. He stood wearing the hood of an unzipped hoodie with nothing underneath. The streetlight glistened on his marked skin and showed the shadow of his boxer-briefs. A cigarette glowed at his fingertips, and pale gray smoke floated out of his mouth.

          I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to him.  

          “What’s wrong? What happened?” he asked.

          I clenched my teeth and told myself to hold it all together. Even if the fabric of my reality was bursting at the seams.

 I stepped towards him. He was leaning against his black car. I shivered, and he shrugged off his hoodie, handing it to me. I slipped it on. His brown eyes didn’t leave mine. He took a drag of his cigarette, and then tossed it to the pavement, putting it out with his day glow orange Vans that I hated.

“That bad, huh?” he asked. I bit my quivering bottom lip and my eyes betrayed me, spilling over with boiling hot tears. He wrapped an arm around me, and pulled me into his chest.

“I didn’t mean to end up here,” I muttered.

“But you did,” he replied softly. And I knew I needed him. Somehow, some way.  I needed him in my life. The stupid boy who’d picked on me relentlessly was now the single person holding me together.

“Let’s go inside,” he said, and I followed him up the three flights of stairs and into a dark, lonely apartment. I followed him into his room and lay down on his bed and he lay beside me. His eyes bore into my soul and we shared this midnight moment of insomnia.

It didn’t take any words. It didn’t take anything at all. It just took him.

And that’s what made it scarier. I took my hair out of the top knot it was in.

“I’m sorry,” I mumbled in the darkness.

“What for?”

“I feel like such a burden to you,” I muttered, “All I do is come over and cry and complain and get you all wound up.”

          “You’re not a burden,” he said, “If anything, you should hate me for mauling you. I’m the burden.”

          “That wasn’t your fault. It’s fine, Iain. I’m the burden. Because who wants their best friend’s little sister hanging around them?”

          “You’re not just Ben’s little sister to me. We’re friends too, you know that right? And you should never feel like a burden to me. I like talking to you and hanging out with you. I like having you over here,” he whispered to me.

          The door burst open.

          “Kit’s missing,” Ben said, worriedly, “Mom called.”

          “I’ve got her,” Iain replied, “I’ll take her to school in the morning don’t worry aboot it. She’s just having a rough time.”

          “Thanks, man,” Ben said, breathing a sigh of relief and leaving.

          “Iain?” I muttered softly after a few moments of silence.

          “Mm?” His eyes caught mine and I pecked his cheek.

          “Thank you.”