The Nights of Bloomings

Asterin woke up looking up at the ceiling. She felt a heaviness pushing her into her bed, and she realized it was just her own excitement, and fear hitting her. She sighed replaying the previous day's events. It had all happened so fast. The sudden engagement, sudden asking to spy, sudden change Alexei had that made her heart flutter. It was all so fast and so quick for her. A soft knock at the door pulled her up.

"Is the princess awake?" Her Lady's voice brought a spark of joy through her. She jumped up and ran to her. All the heaviness had lifted from her leaving her light and free.

"Lady Winifred!" She wrapped her arms around her. "I didn't know you were coming." She smiled in excitement. She squeezed tightly as she sighed.

"Yes, well we decided we should be here on both big days. After all there will be a lot of people here, some that might threaten your life." She shrugged.

"You do realize there are plenty of guards here?" Asterin looked at her. She paused for a moment realizing the words that Winifred spoke that she had overlooked. "What do you mean by we?"

"I think she means me."

"Nikolai!" Asterin hugged her right hand. He was by her side as she grew up. He was the one she trusted the most at court, besides Winifred. Without him she would be at a total loss. "Oh it's so good to see you all again." She smiled.

"We as well." He smiled. "I think you two have some getting ready to do. I'll be just outside the door." He bowed, walking out of the room leaving the two alone.

"I brought you a new dress." Lady Winifred turned and grabbed the small box Asterin had overlooked. She opened the box and revealed her new dress. It was a pale blue, almost gray, and the top was see through. Silver flowers on the side that reached up and around her torso, creating stems on her chest. A silver neckline with small pearls wrapped loosely around her neck. The sleeves cut off on her shoulders and skirt made a little resemblance to a sky. "What do you think?"

"I love it." Asterin whispered. She slowly pulled it out of the box. "It's stunning."

"Good." She smiled. "Let's get you ready." She said.

Asterin smiled. She quickly turned, pulling the dress with her to the mirror. She looked at it pretending it was already on her. "I can't believe it." She said. "It's the most beautiful dress I have ever seen."

"Well, I want you to make a fabulous first expression." Lady Winifred added. "Well I guess it wouldn't be first." She quickly corrected it.

"I'm so excited." She added. "I am so excited for tonight." Asterin admitted.

"Is Prince Dietrich around?"

"Ugh." Asterin moaned. "Yes unfortunately. King Gallo has asked me to try and snoop around to figure out why he is offering his troops for them. Except he isn't allowing them to give much in return. He isn't asking for practically anything."

"It seems too good to be true." Lady Winnifred responded as she began to set the dress.

"I agree." She responded. "Except we don't like each other so I doubt he will tell me what I want to know." Asterin sighed looking at the mirror. "Madeline says I should ask Oriana for help in getting me out of the marriage."

With her head popping up meeting her eyes in the mirror Asterin could tell she was surprised. "What could she do to help? She is only just a princess."

"Yes, well, she'll be queen soon. King Gallo is sick." Asterin turned to look at her Lady.

"This is dangerous. She's not engaged and King Rheiner is looking for his son to be married when he takes the throne. If she is able to stop the marriage, she will have to provide someone else with plenty of power for marriage."