Chapter 11

Tempest's POV-
"Nice try Meyers" I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not kidding!" Mush blurted and held his hand up in surrender.

"Oh?" I smirked.

"Yeah, for you. You know, a welcome back thing!" Mush said.

"Really?" I smiled and wiggled my eyebrows.

"Gosh and I thought I trained the newsies to become tough and dignified! Throwing a party, man my reputation's sunk" I sighed.

"Dont be so sure" Mush snickered and pushed open the doors to Tibby's.

"Tempest's back" he yelled. I couldn't believe my eyes! Hundreds of newsies were cramped in the little restaurant and Spot was right in the middle.

"You guys I've missed you all!" I yelled and hugged every single newsie possible, which was a lot considering the space that was available.

"Jack! Not a traitor after all?" I smirked and gave him a hug.

"Never was" he smiled. I turned around and hugged Spot.

"Good to see you again!" I smiled and kissed him. We partied all night until Kloppmann got confused on how none of the newsies were staying at the lodging house that night. Then we dispersed with only Jack, David, Les, Spot, Race, Mush, Blink, Ace, and a few other close friends left in Tibby's.

"So how do you plan on staying away from Pulitzer?" Jack asked.

"Well..." I smirked and brought out a handful of coins I stole from Pulitzer.

"This is a decent amount of money, get me away from this place" I smiled as all the boys gaped at the amount of silver glittered in my hand. Suddenly, pounding noises were heard from the door.

"Someone's trying to get in" Spot whispered.

"Police! Open up!" a man yelled from outside.

"Tempest hide" Blink hissed.

"Yeah, we'll cover for you" Mush whispered. I dove under the table right as the door flew off it's hinges.

"Police, put your hands up" they yelled. Nobody put their hands up.

"We're looking for a girl, Twilight Eventide. Works for Mr. Pulitzer, escaped his residence around a few hours ago. Have you seen her?" a man asked.

"No" Spot said.

"Who are you?" the police asked him.

"Liam" he answered.

"hmmmmm" he muttered. I was too busy looking at that police officer to notice the one that came around the table. He lifted me up and cuffed my hands.

"What!" I yelled.

"Found her. Arrest the other boys" the police officer ordered.

"No it was all me! Don't take them!" I yelled, but to no avail. All hope was lost. All that work for nothing.

"Court is now in session" the judge said. Pulitzer and Ralph were sitting next to the judge. Ralph had a snarky grin on his face and I turned away from him.

"We are awaiting the trial of Twilight Eventide. Escaped the Pulitzer residence, resisting arrest... again" the bailiff read. The police shoved me forwards and I stood before a judge... again.

"Pulitzer would like a few words" he said and Pulitzer stepped up. I stared him down and clutched Denton's book in my arm.

"Twilight Eventide. Escaped from my house. You know what I'd do to your little friends if you ever did run away" Pulitzer sneered. Ralph walked over to Spot.

"And this must be the famous Spot Conlon? I assume?" Pulitzer sneered.

"Git your dirty hands off of me you fink" Spot muttered as Ralph pushed him towards his father, as he held up a cane.

"****!!! Don't you dare hurt him!!!" I screamed as Pulitzer brought the cane down on him.

"****!" I screamed.

"Stop! I'll stay with you guys! Please! Anything! Don't hurt him" I screamed as tears came flying out of my eyes.