cat got your tongue?

sophie's alarm sounded out into her room as her eyes shot open. she groaned softly as she rolled over to shut it off.

she ran her fingers through her hair as she got up groggily. she walked into the bathroom and brushed her teeth.

after getting ready she made her way down the steps of her small house. her attention immediately went to her mother heather who was in the kitchen making breakfast.

"hey kid, how'd you sleep?" heather asked sophie as shrugged in response.

heather nodded slowly as she set her food down in front of her. sophie started eating it slowly as heather sipped her coffee.

"so... you excited for your first day as a senior?" heather asked the girl as she shook her head no dramatically.

heather chuckled as she shook her head. "lighten up kid, maybe you'll find yourself a friend this year." he told the girl as she walked towards her and patted her shoulder.

sophie shrugged as she scarfed down her breakfast. "how's it taste?" heather joked as sophie glared at her.

she hit her in the arm as she groaned and moved away from her massaging herself. "ow! jeez i was kidding kid!" heather laughed as sophie giggled and finished her food.

she got her backpack and lunchbox as she headed towards the door. she waved to heather as she waved back.

"I love you, be safe!" she shouted before sophie smiled and walked out the door.

...

nathan stuffed his face into his pillow as his alarm sounded. after about three minutes of his alarm still going nathan finally got up from his bed. he hit his alarm clock harshly as he got ready for the day.

he's been dreading it all summer, the first day back at hermitage hell... aka hermitage high school. at least it would be his last year, but he wasn't thinking about that right now.

all he was thinking about were the annoying jocks, the homework and tests, the nosy girls... and he was not wanting to go at all.

once he was done getting ready he went downstairs to be greeted by his mom and dad who were both on there laptops working.

"hey" nathan greeted them blankly as janet and bill continued to type on there keyboards. "I said hey!" nathan told them as they slowly looked up at him.

"don't you have school that you should be attending son" bill asked him harshly as nathan rolled his eyes.

"oh sorry... i thought you forgot because of how busy you both supposedly are. my bad." nathan mocked out as he rolled his eyes and grabbed his stuff.

"bye!" nathan yelled as his parents once again didn't say anything.

nathan huffed as he walked out the front door, his feet dragging on the floor as he made his way towards the school.

...

first, second, third and fourth all passed by pretty fast as nathan got to his locker  to put his stuff away and headed to lunch.

he huffed as he made his way to the large cafeteria. he got his tray and sat at a pretty empty table. well... at least he thought it was empty, until he realized someone was at the very end.

she was eating what looked like a ham sandwich. she had longish, straight brown hair.

she looked down at her food the whole time, not taking a glance at a single soul, not even him

nathan then slowly slid in front of her and started to his lunch from across from her. she looked up slightly as he saw her facial features up close for the first time.