Present 🎁

Your POV

“That’s it for today class. Don’t forget about your assignments on financial statements due this Thursday. “You shouted over the noise in the classroom.

There are a few who gave acknowledging hums and responses from what you had just announced but the majority of the class? Well, they had just quickly gathered their things and rushed out of the classroom towards who knows where.

When the room was finally empty of students, you let out a huge sigh at the thought of the many exams on your desk that are still in need of grading but at least, the day had just ended. After collecting yourself and grabbing your stuff, you went out of the room and went to the administration office clock out.

On your way out, there were a few students who bid goodbye to you to which you responded kindly. There were a few of your co-professors who waved you over for a talk. You were in no hurry to go home but at the same time, you had no time to socialize with others, but still you had to keep up appearances, so, you stayed. Luckily it was only a short talk, and you quickly resumed your walk back home.

A chilly breeze went by, prompting you to pull your coat closer to your body for warmth. You certainly missed the warmth of your hometown. Speaking of home, you haven’t gone back for 4 years already, even during Christmas breaks. You were always bombarded with paper works, exams to grade and other things to even bother booking a train back home. There was also that.

When you started college, you had a falling out with your parents. You wanted to take forensic science, but your mom was so against it. She said that it was a useless major and that I would be better off studying accountancy since it was an in-demand job right now. You fought tooth and nail for you to study forensic science but in the end, you studied accountancy just so that your mom wouldn’t bother you.

So how did you end up teaching instead of office work? Well, that’s another story for another time.

You were so busy reminiscing that you didn’t notice that you had already arrived in your flat. As you were about to go in, you heard gunshots next door. Next door?!!!

“Mrs. Hudson!” Closing your door, you rushed towards where you heard the gunshots, all the while yelling out Mrs. Hudson’s name. Various thoughts flew by your head, different scenarios which only made your worry grow.

After what felt an eternity Mrs. Hudson came through the door, a smile gracing her features as she saw you. You felt confused. You didn’t imagine the gunshots, right? So why was Mrs. Hudson so nonchalant about it?

“Do you need anything dearie?” You heard Mrs. Hudson ask you, breaking you out of your stupor.

“Are you alright Mrs. Hudson?”

“Well yes, why wouldn’t I be dear?”

“Well, I heard gunshots, so I thought something had happened.” You responded still in a daze. Mrs. Hudson, understanding your concern, shaking her head, and let out a sigh.

“What is that boy up to?” You heard Mrs. Hudson mutter to herself and went to go upstairs.

You stood awkwardly by the door, debating whether to follow Mrs. Hudson, to stay outside, or to return to your flat and forget this ever happened. However, you reasoned out that you had to make sure that Mrs. Hudson was safe. Totally not because you were curious as to who would randomly shoot bullets in their apartment. Yeah, totally not because of that.

You followed the voices upstairs. You heard Mrs. Hudson’s voice scolding the person who you presumed was the one shooting, only to be ignored. The young man(?) replied saying “I’m bored” three times, each statement was followed by a gunshot. Definitely a weird hobby for someone who’s bored. I mean who randomly pick up a gun and make your flat a shooting range out of the blue?