Chapter 1

I sat in the bleachers in waiting. I'm very good at hiding and blending in, so that's what I did. I blended myself in with my red Blackhawks jacket being worn inside out, so that the logo wasn't being shown, and my red and grey-striped leggings to blend in with the bleachers I was sitting, or crouching, in. As soon as I saw them skate out onto the ice, being led by the head coach and the captain, I hid. I bent down behind the bleachers so I could see the boys, but they couldn't see me.

"ALRIGHT BOYS, WE'VE GOT A GAME TO WIN TONIGHT! THE MAPLE LEAFS ARE A VERY STRONG TEAM AS OF LATE, AND IF WE WANT TO MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS, WE'VE GOT TO WIN TONIGHT! JOHNNY, CALL EM OUT!" The coach's voice boomed throughout the arena.

"5-ON-5 CROW'S ON ONE END, RANTA'S ON THE OTHER!" The captain's voice also boomed. I didn't know the captain was able to shout out what the team was doing. I thought that's what the coach was for, but I was wrong.

I, Danielle Roberts, was not about to get caught for being here in on a closed practice. But, I had a mission. Figure out how to learn everyone's names before my first day which was later on today.

I was going to become one of the athletic trainers, but it would be a bit awkward if I knew no one's name.

So far, I knew Johnny, Crow, and Ranta.

I had wanted a job with a hockey team like the Chicago Blackhawks for a while since I graduated college a few months ago. I have a resume with me from working in college with the Minnesota Golden Gophers hockey team, and then I also got an internship with Shattuck's-Saint Mary's.

"NOT FAST ENOUGH BOYS! FASTER AND STRONGER! IF WE WANT TO MAKE THE PLAY-OFFS, WE'VE GOT TO PLAY MUCH BETTER THAN WE ARE RIGHT NOW!" I kind of feared the coach, but I knew somehow he wasn't a bad person.

A few moments before practice was over, I snuck out of where I was sitting and went to go find my new boss.

Oh! How rude of me not to introduce myself. I am, as mentioned, Danielle Roberts. I'm at least 6'3" (not athletic at all, just a gene in the family) and have really curly red hair that I've wanted to change since high school.

I have a few siblings; I'm one of 12. There's me, Derrick, Cody, Chase, John Henry (we all call him Henry) Donovan, Harley, Miles, Josh and CJ. (Colton James) I'm the only girl alongside my mom, but somehow, I managed to grow up with ten guys surrounding me with a bunch of sports, and here I am, working in the field of sports medicine.

Other than that, I'm one for a good ol' hockey game, but I'm a Minnesota Wild fan, so I'll have to keep that fact to myself.

I kept walking down a hallway until I bumped into someone, causing him to flinch a little bit but then smile.

"Hi, you must be..." He offered his hand and I shook it, smiling right back.

"Danielle, Danielle Roberts."

"Well, then, Danielle, it's a pleasure to have you on our medical staff. I'm Tim. I'll be your 'boss' so-to-speak, but just think of me as a co-worker. Now that we've met, it's time to meet the boys." He led me down a hallway and through a door with the logo on it, stopping to make sure no one was naked. I giggled before composing myself.

"Boys, I'd like you to meet..." He scratched his head, trying to remember my name.

"Danielle. Danielle Roberts. Pleased to meet y'all." I totally forgot about how in my family, we say y'all.

"Hi." They all said, waving and smiling.

I took a quick panorama with my eyes and looked at all of them. God, what good-looking guys there are right in front of me. At least twenty. I was caught staring at someone who waved a hand in my face.