On Interruptions

The scent was already making her mouth water, to say less of her companion. The warm, inviting aroma of cinnamon, graced with a hint of nutmeg filled the air around the campsite as Chloe stirred the pot. She gave the contents a test, bringing up a spoon and dumping it over to make sure it was sufficiently thick before adding in just a little more sugar.

The low rumbling of Ash's stomach drew her attention, making her smile. "Is it ready yet?" he asked.

Giving the porridge one more look, she tested it once more and nodded. "Yeah, I think breakfast is ready." She grabbed a small bowl and served the porridge into it, setting it down in front of Eevee, who very quickly jammed her face into the bowl to begin eating. "I made plenty, so eat up, okay?," Chloe said as she served another before handing it to Pikachu.

Ash reached into his pockets but pulled them out empty-handed. "Oh, uh, whoops. Guess I forgot I left everyone else back at Professor Oak's." He chuckled to himself, scratching the back of his head shyly.

Chloe frowned before handing Ash the bowl served for him. 'Why'd you do it if you'd only forget the next day?' was the thought that rose to her mind, but she decided that saying such a thought wouldn't do much to ingratiate herself with him.

Ash responded as though she had said it regardless. "I did it because the more they know each other, the easier it'll be for them t' work together when we take on the Ultra Class," he said. "Letting them spend time together like this'll only make those bonds stronger when they're gonna be tested in battle."

Chloe's eyes widened, her mind going back to his intense battle against Zeke over a week ago at this point. There was a craving in her to see another intense battle like that, or like Dragonite's clash with Charizard back at Professor Oak's. 'Not that I could have a battle like that with him. But there's so much passion in it when he does it. I didn't know Pokémon battles could be like that...'

Ash snapped his fingers, drawing Chloe from her thoughts as she stared at her porridge. "You're worried we're not going to be prepared, aren't you?" he asked. Looking into his eyes, Chloe saw nothing but confidence and the composure that came with the years of experience he apparently had.

And with the confidence in those eyes, she could easily shake her head. "No," she said. "I'm not worried about anything like that whatsoever." And before she stared into his eyes any longer or elaborated any further, she began spooning the porridge into her mouth. "Mmmm~!" It was better than she hoped, the cinnamon and nutmeg combining with the sugar to make for a very satisfying breakfast.

Sensing that the time for talk had ended, Ash began eating as well. After a spoonful, his eyes widened and then he began to eat even more quickly, shoveling the porridge into his mouth. In an instant, he was already holding out the bowl to her. "More, please!"

She smiled, though there was a hint of guile flickering in her green eyes. "Of course! Allow me."

She handed the bowl back to Ash and watched him eat, drawing great satisfaction that her cooking was something he was enjoying. 'There's a reason they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach,' she thought, the familiar sight in TV and movies coming to mind of a woman wooing a man with delicious food. It hadn't been the goal of coming out here, to cook for Ash, but Chloe thought it was a nice bonus to go along with everything else.

After breakfast, the camp was swiftly put away before the two of them began plotting their next move. Ash gestured around them as Pikachu crawled onto his head. "So, where'd you like to go? We have a lot of wilderness around here, and since you're a Pokémon Trainer, you can decide whichever way you wanna go!"

"Pikachu!" his partner cheered.

Chloe took her phone from her pocket and turned away from Ash. "Let's see... there actually was someplace I looked up before we came out here..."