Chapter One: The Way Things Go

*Picture of Liliana on the side, just imagine her with curly hair.

Liliana put out her cigarette by stumping it with her foot. She sighed, always feeling lighter and more relived after smoking; she made it a promise to herself to smoke only when she was stressed out or really angry. Right now, she was angry, Antonio Mendoza her father’s best friend’s son had tried to get her into his bed and when she flat out rejected him he had gone off at her, calling her awful names. She wanted to punch the bastard in the face, but she knew that would anger her father. So she came outside behind the house to smoke, not wanting to deal with anyone at their weekly barbeque. Her father had a barbeque every weekend where the whole gang gathered at their house. Liliana felt suffocated, she would often slink away to the garage to work on her 1960 Corvette Stingray, which she had yet got to work, it would start up every now and then but after revving the engine a bit, it would shut off. Liliana loved getting her hands dirty; covered in car grease. Everything she knew about cars was thanks to Leonardo, her best friend. Leonardo lived four blocks down the road, his papa had died when they were little kids and Liliana’s father had taken him under his wing. They had grown up together; he was her confidant and he knew her better than anyone else.

Liliana retreated to the garage, knowing that working on her car would make her feel better. As if on cue, Leo saw her and immediately knew something was wrong, he didn’t follow her though, know she needed some time alone, the garage was the place she went for solidarity. He would check on her soon though. Liliana entered the garage, the smell of gasoline already making her feel better; she immediately popped the hood of her car and began working, her muscles relaxing as she got into her element. Sweat slid down Liliana’s back, her tank top sticking to her tank top she took a step back and pulled the tank top off revealing her Nike sports bra. She discarded the tank top on the floor and was about to resume when she felt strong arms go around her waist; she looked down and recognized the tattooed arms. Leo. Liliana relaxed into his arms, his chin resting atop her head. Leo was tall, 6’2; he was tanned, tattooed and buff. His eyes were soft though, a chocolate brown with bit of a mischievous gleam.  

“What’s wrong babycakes?” He asked and Liliana smiled, she loved how he always knew when something was wrong.

“Antonio wanted me to have sex with him, when I rejected his pathetic ass he called me a cock blocking whore,” she told him and Leo stiffened, he was always protective of her. Antonio had been trying to get with Liliana forever, and she hated him. He was always sweating, his mouth always reeked of chewing tobacco and he thought with his dick rather than his brain.

“You want me to give him a piece of my mind?”

“Nah, I told him good and you know that if you and he get into a brawl papa will get angry.” Liliana was right, and Leo knew it. As much as Castillo loved Leo, Antonio would always get his way. Politics. Leo sighed and rolled his eyes and looked at Liliana, God was she stunning. Her wild curly ebony hair framed her face, her green eyes, something she had inherited from her mother glistening, her nose pierced with a ring bringing out her badass side and her delectable body full of curves. Leo had loved her since day 1, but he knew she didn’t have those feelings for him. He hoped though, that one day she would be his, but for now he valued her friendship.

Liliana saw Leo’s passionate stare and she so badly wanted to give in; be his. It never felt right to her though, she’d always loved him, just not in the way he wanted her to. Maybe if they gave them a chance she thought and without even thinking twice Liliana stood onto her tip toes, leaned in and pressed her lips to Leo’s. Desire flooded through Leo, he kissed her back, with full intensity. Pulling her close he wrapped his arm around her waist and the other went into her hair. Her lips were soft, their tongues intertwined rhythmically. Leo’s pants got tight and he growled in the back of his throat. Liliana then pulled away, immediately feeling guilty, she had kissed him for all the wrong reasons. She was confused, angry and upset. Taking a step back she put her hand on Leo’s chest, not being able to look him in the eyes.

“Leo…” she began but was interrupted by Letty, her younger sister.

“There you are! Papa is looking for you,” she exclaimed. Leticia was beautiful, just like her sister. Her hair was the same crazy curls, her eyes were darker though, just like their papa’s and she had the body of a model, long slender legs and perfect sized breasts. Her personality was more exuberant too, unlike Liliana’s who kept to herself most of the time.

Liliana was grateful for the distraction, she couldn’t face Leo.

“I’m coming,” she called out and followed her sister out the garage.