Chapter 1

Overview
Setting: Johannesburg South Prison
Character(s): 1. Black male. (Sabelo)
.
Sabelo (breathing in): I don't understand why you didn't record the first time but okay, I'll tell the story again.

beep

Sabelo: You see when you grow up in the streets of eKasi, when you've been exposed to all the cruelty the world has to offer at a young age, surely you'd understand why I took the job in the first place.
The job.
No description just a simple, "help wanted, R50 000 per delivery" ad on LinkedIn. When I had called to ask more about the job, they said, I should pitch with my CV at Zakariyya Park Royal Spice Street at 6am. This was just an enquiry mind you. I also wanted to know what am I delivering. But they didn't say more.
Dimamzo thought it was shady... oh my poor o'lady. A very strong woman, who forced herself to be independent after the death of my father. Ten bullets to his chest and he was gone. Just like that. Dimamzo... a very light skinned Xhosa lady. A bit hunched and very chubby, don't tell her I told you that (Sabelo chuckles). 4'5 feet tall if you ask me. Even in the year 2020, she chose to work in the kitchen as though it is apartheid days. A strong believer she is, I believe she is on her knees praying that I come back, if not, she's laying dead. Shot in cold blood simply because everyone knows by now that I got arrested... even the boss.
The next day, I was woken up at 4am by gunshots, my everyday alarm and of course mama was humming one of her favourite gospel songs. She was late for work that day, and she knew I had an interview, so she smiled so beautifully at me and told me I shouldn't worry about accompanying her. She always did this. Insisted that I stay at home and search for schools around the area, but I'm a man and I always felt the need to protect her.

After the long walk from the taxi rank, I came back right on time and fixed my CV and made my way to Zakariyya Park. A 20 minute walk away from home. 15 minutes if you're lucky. I was lucky, after all, on my way I was mentally preparing myself for the job I strongly believed was for me, that I even didn't realise I came 10 minutes early.

I was greeted by long grey walls and an elegant black gate, covering the huge black mansion ahead of me. It was everyone's dream eKasi to live in such a house. Glass windows. Body guards in suits and surveillance cameras everywhere. After he snapped his hands at me, mocking at my amusement, he finally introduced himself as MikeDon and he said was the perfect candidate for this job.
But what was the job you may ask. It was delivering potatos around the township. Potatos. R50 000 for delivering potatos!? I knew something was wrong.

————————————

How are you liking the story so far?
Part 2 will be available soon!