Chapter 1

"Ada!" A voice called form behind. Ada turned around to come face to face with her best friend.

"Gosh." Ada smacked her friends arm. "Don't scare me like that." Luke laughed and pulled Ada into a hug with an arm around her neck. "I'm serious Luke I almost had a heart attack."

"Sure." Luke released Ada. "Save that for when you're actually scared." He looked down at the bags Ada was carrying in her hands. "What's those for?"

Ada sighed and looked down at the bags. "They're for my mom. She hasn't been feeling well, so I was hoping some ice cream would cheer her up."

"That's nice of you." Luke smiled and started to walk away waving goodbye. "See you at school tomorrow."

Ada waved back. "See ya." She turned around to walk up the pathway to the front door of her house. Pulling out her keys, Ada unlocked the door and stepped through the entryway. She kicked off her shoes and closed the door behind her. She then made her way through the hallway and unto the kitchen. Ada took notice in the eerie silence that seemed to envelope the house. "Mom?" Ada called out, voice full of concern. "I'm home. I even brought you the ice cream you like." She waited a moment to see if her mother would respond. "It's cookie dough."

Growing wary, Ada let her eyes roam around the kitchen looking for anything out of place. "Seriously mom, this isn't funny." A nervous chuckle escaped Ada as her worry and concern grew. Ada turned around in a circle. She only stopped when she caught sight of the backdoor. The backdoor that was slightly ajar.

Taking a closer look Ada noticed the cracked glass around the door handle. Ada's stomach twisted in knots. "Mom." She gasped out, turning to run out the kitchen and up the stairs.

"Did you find the girl."  An unknown voice made Ada stop mid step as fear engulfed her entire being.

"No..." A subdued voice answered the first voice back.

"Did you even search?!" The first voice sounded aggravated. There was no response that time, only the yell of, "Well what are you waiting for then! Go look for her!"

Footsteps echoed from within her mothers bedroom which was located at the top of the stairs to the right. She had to hide. Hide. Hide where? Ada raced back down the stairs and looked left and right for a place to hide. Her heart was racing, she could hear it in her ears. The loud thumps a steady constant.

Thump! Ba-dum!

Where! She's running out of time...

There! Ada hastily went over to the hutch the housed their blankets.

With trembling hands, Ada opened the hutch and placed a leg inside. Hearing footsteps start down the stairs Ada jumped into the pile of blankets. She let the lid close and the hutch was encased in darkness. Burrowing her way down in the blankets, Ada didn't stop until she was at the bottom of the hutch.

"Oh little girl~" The same voice from upstairs singingly called out. "Where are you hiding~" Ada heard the front closet door open with a loud creak. "Not in the closet..." The voice sounded upset.

A tear escaped from Ada's eye, rolling down her cheek only to be absorbed into the blanket that laid above her. 'Please, please don't look in here.' Ada silently prayed that the person outside didn't come near the hutch.

The man searched for a few minutes before coming to a stop in front of the hutch. "Last place to look..." He drawled out the 'look', reaching out to grasp onto the lid of the hutch. He lifted it, and light shined into the darkness inside.

Ada couldn't breath as her breath was stuck inside her throat. "Samuel!" The voice from up the stairs called down to who Ada guessed was 'Samuel'. "We don't have time for this! She's obviously not here if you couldn't find her by now." Ada released a shuddering breath as the lid slammed closed and footsteps echoed their way to the front of the house.

"Lets go."

The two mystery people left and the fear Ada felt simmered down to a slight queasy feeling. She took a moment to collect herself before pushing all the blankets away and breach the top. Reaching up, Ada pushed open the hutch a crack and took a peek at the surrounding area. Seeing that it was clear, Ada pushed the lid all the way open and it slammed against the wall behind the hutch. She stood up and swung a leg over the side of the hutch to climb out. As she went to swing her other leg up, Ada ended up tumbling to the ground.

"Ow." Ada groaned as she rolled off of her stomach and onto her back to look at her foot that was still up in the air. She saw a blanket twisted around her foot and up to her knee. "Of course." It was just her luck to fumble over herself.

Ada untangled herself and stood up, pushing the blanket that was still hanging over the side of the hutch back inside. She took a moment to breath in a out to calm herself after that clumsy moment she just had. Ada's eyes snapped open not long after though as she remembered why she was in that hutch in the first place. "Mom!" She took off up the stairs, skipping every other step in her haste to reach the top faster.

Once at the top step, Ada turned right and took in the sight in front of her. Her mothers dresser was left in splinters along the floor. The bed ripped to shreds, and feathers were still falling to the floor. Mirror shattered with pieces missing in the mess on the floor. Everything was broken and thrown about carelessly, but there in the middle of it all was Ada's mother. "Mom! No!" Ada ran to where her mother lay and fell to her knees, scrapping them as she slid along the hardwood floor. She barely winced at the pain though because all of her attention was drawn to her mothers bleeding body.

"Come on mom! Open your eyes." Ada begged as she lifted her mothers head and placed it on her lap. Ada struggled not to cry. She was rapidly blinking as to not let a single tear drop. It was useless though as the tears she tried to keep in came out like a waterfall. She sobbed as she cradled her mothers cheeks in her hands. "Why?" Fingers traced the face as if memorizing every curve, every line. Ada gave a watery smile as her mother forced her eyes open. Hope grew in the girls chest at seeing her mothers cloudy grey eyes staring at her. "Oh thank god."

Angelica looked up into her daughters bloodshot eyes for the last time. "I love you, my...strong...little girl..." She trailed off as she felt herself lose strength and grow cold.

"Mom," Ada whispered in disbelief. "Come on." She started shaking her mothers shoulders in hoped that she would talk again. "Please, you can't leave me!" Her voice grew desperate and she shook her mother harder. "No! You can't leave me! Mom!" Ada sat back, arms falling to her side. "Please...you're the only one I have." Her lips trembled as she kept looking at her mothers dull and lifeless eyes.

It came crashing down on Ada all at once. Her mother was dead. Dead. Ada hysterically laughed at that. The only person she ever knew and loved, dead. The laughter turned into sobs once more. Ada let her head fall back to stare at the ceiling. She closed her eyes and let out a loud wail. "Ahhhh!" Ada couldn't move. She could only sit there numbly as she continued to cry.

Soon enough Ada ran out of tears so she was left gasping and dry heaving. She cried so much her voice was only but a rasp. having little enrygy, Ada moved herself so she was laying next to her mother. "Mom." Ada croaked out, grasping her mothers cold hand in her own warm one. Her breath slowly evened out and Ada was left hiccupping.

Ada felt drained. She felt like her mind was dissociated from her body. Sighing, Ada let her eyes close. Letting herself relax, Ada's mind shut down and she fell asleep.