CHAPTER 2

1.   Chapter 2

A/N – Happy Friday! I have an update here, but after this chapter I'll be putting this story on a bi-weekly update schedule (So I can rotate updates each Friday with my Attack on Titan story). So, you can expect the next update two weeks from now. I stick pretty close to my update schedules, and will let you guys know if anything changes.

A million thanks to my first few reviewers, you guys are wonderful :) Enjoy!

_______________________

My reflection in the mirror held a nasty grimace on her face.

And rightfully so, the girl on the other side of the reflective glass surface looked positively ghastly.

The dark circles under my eyes from a night of tossing and turning stood out drastically against pale skin. I hadn't slept a wink after the events of the previous day, wrestling with my conscience throughout the night as I debated the best way to approach my circumstances.

I gingerly poked at puffy eyelids and dark circles with a deep frown. The light- colored skin that was mostly void of the melanin I'd possessed in my previous life definitely did not help anything, making the dark circles exaggerated and giving a vague impression of a raccoon.

Kimari had a delicate, doll-like look to her, a look that was common among the civilian women of Konoha. A humble kind of beauty that didn't stick out but was still pleasant to look at. Pale skin, honey colored eyes, light brown hair that was straight and thick – so very different from my previous life, but so very common here in Konoha.

Gone was the tanned olive skin, hazel eyes, and untamable curls that Lamees was born with. A mix of Bedouin and Mediterranean, common among her people and matching the rest of her relatives.

Lamees had been tall, almost abnormally so, with thick bones and strong

muscles from working in the bakery. Kimari was the exact opposite: short, petite, and slim, looking as though her bones might just snap if squeezed too hard.

Lamees had a wild look to her, no doubt from her Bedouin blood, the blood of the proud nomadic tribes of Arabia and Northern Africa, with a piercing gaze and sharp features that might have made her look somewhat unapproachable. Kimari was the opposite – everything about her was soft and inviting; from her warm gaze to her gentle voice and mannerisms. Even her skin and hair were soft.

I found it humorous that I had inherited such soft and delicate features, especially since the meaning of the name Lamees meant 'soft to touch'. How ironic that I would finally acquire the meaning of my old name in my second life.

I wasn't looking very soft today, however. My reflection looked downright haggard.

I heaved an exasperated sigh, finally accepting that my reflection would not improve by staring at it. Working my fingers through the thick and long locks, I moved to part it at the side and began the braid against my scalp that would eventually be coiled into a bun and secured with my grandmother's comb at the base of my skull - very proper and very traditional, as was expected of me.

It was an interesting time period that I was able to witness here. It seemed like society in the shinobi village was on the cusp of innovation, of modern advancements, but just barely. In this society, new technology and innovative ideas continued to clash with tradition.

There were bits and pieces of random technology sprinkled about, yet still widely unavailable to the public. Things like radios and televisions were hard to come by, yet still available for the right price. To my knowledge, the only thing radios were used for at this day and age was long-distance communication instead of the music that was beginning to fade from Lamees's memory.

There was also evidence of the clash between modern and traditional amongst the clans of Konoha as well. One of the best examples of a clan that held on to tradition like a lifeline of sorts were the Hyuuga, who lived an extremely traditional lifestyle, one that many would consider somewhat archaic. On the

opposite end of the spectrum there were the Inuzuka, a clan that was well known for purposefully rocking the boat and had eagerly accepted societal and technological change with no qualms.

It was much the same among the civilians. There were certain families or even entire neighborhoods that clung to the older ways, much like my grandfather and his family had. The newer districts and pockets of younger and elder villagers alike were all for the changes that were coming about, eager to shed the cloak of tradition to replace it with newer tech, modern clothing, and more relaxed societal tendencies.

Even the clothing was an interesting mix of old and new, though many still clung to the older styles instead of the more modern clothing that was starting to become popular in certain civilian circles.

The yukata I wore today was a pale green color, the fabric slightly faded after a few years of usage. This yukata in particular was always my grandfather's favorite on me. It had been my hope that the pastel green of the fabric would draw attention away from the shadows under my eyes. Although, I could see now that my hopes were in vain.

With one last glare at the ugly circles under my eyes, I gave up, splashing some water on my face before heading towards my kitchen to start my day with a cup of tea and a breakfast of 'Tamago Kake Gohan' - a dish of rice, soy sauce, and raw egg that had taken some time to get used to but was now a daily staple.

There were times I missed the rich spices of the dishes that were served in Lamees's home – things like lamb kebabs, Shawarma, Shakshuka, Tabbouleh, and Hummus. I'd even tried to replicate the old recipes, which had all turned out unpalatable and strange-tasting due to lack of proper ingredients, and had eventually given up. There were even points where I would have given all my earthly possessions for a single olive or piece of date fruit.

But all in all, I found I preferred the Japanese cuisine that was found here in Konohagakure. It was filling and nutritious, light on the stomach and full of energy – even if it was a bit bland on the palate compared to the spices I had been raised on in my last life.