18. Not dead apparently

Tony pov

I'm all alone in the workshop now, since it's the middle of the night Bucky went to sleep. I'm staring at the numbers on my wall of inspiration. It's not like i could forget those numbers but i still have them written on a piece of paper, next to your file. I can't stop staring at those pictures on it, the information, the status of you. And the certificate next to it.

(I had to use someone for the photos

(I had to use someone for the photos. Who else then death herself, as she's died what? Fourteen times now)

But if this works this could be one of the last times i look at it and see the word deceased

But if this works this could be one of the last times i look at it and see the word deceased. I can't focus when i've looked at the word. I don't really know why i put it all up, just so that it can be like looking at you with all i know. So i pull out a tablet and put in the number i know by heart.

"Hey, you've reached Y/n Carter. I can not come to the phone right now but leave a message and i'll call you back as soon as i can" you answer the phone with the recorded voicemail. I hang up, just needing to have heard your voice. I press play to the video that shows on the small screen in my hand.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..." Me, Pepper and Natasha are singing as we're entering your room. Steve is holding the camera pointed at you as you start to wake up in your bed.

"Seriously?" you ask with a laugh and i can't help but smile at your tired smile.

"Happy 28th birthday y/n, now blow out the candles" Pepper says, holding out the little cupcake in front of you. You blow it out and we applaud.

"Here... now i know we said no presents but just take it" i say as you hesitantly take it. You open the small box. "It's not to fancy but it's real"

"It's amazing Tony, thank you" you say, looking down at the necklace of gold. Hanging in it is a star that represents the North Star, since her nickname by the media became Starlight. But it's just plain, no extra stones or glitter.

"Mr Stark, the system says that Y/n just logged into her computer that is placed on her desk in her bedroom" Friday says, interrupting the video. I have it paused perfectly on that smile of yours.

"Pull up the security cameras" i say and in the next second i have pictures of the inside of your room. And there a woman is seated. Her y/h/c hair falling down, her straight posture and body. "Impossible"

I see her give up on the computer and get up to walk over to the bookcase. And as she does, I get a clear picture of her face, your face. How is that even possible? I look at the date of the camera but it says '1:32 am, August 18th 2018' which is today's date. Just as i get up to walk out i get another text that just confirms what i just saw. But it can't be from her, cause she doesn't have a phone in her hand.

Unknown
Aren't you happy to see me?
- y/f/l

I let go of the phone before starting to make my way to the sleep corridor. But as i pass the living room i see Nat sitting there, i try to pass her without her noticing but she does.

"Tony? What are you doing up this late?" she asks me, turning around to look at me.

"Did you know someone's in y/n's room?" instead of answering me she just gets up to walk up to me.

"Yeah, i know. I took her there" she answered calmly.

"You let a stranger into her room?" not that i think my eyes were deceiving me about what i saw, but logicly it can't be possible.

"No, i let her into her own room"

"How do you know it's her, i'm pretty sure i just saw her death certificate on my wall"

"Yeah, and i don't really know why you have it on your wall but if you calm down instead. I can take you to her and you'll stay calm as you meet her again" Nat is like a different person, it has to do something with you to do.

"Or you could just tell me how she got her" i say, even though all i want to do is run up to look at you with my own eyes.

"Yeah that's the thing, you know who we captured a few hours ago" i can't believe what she's saying right now. "Just listen, she took off her mask, lenses and wig. And it's her, even though she doesn't remember much since it's been almost two hundred years for her but she knows the small things"

"Then take me to her so i can see for myself" she leads the way to your room where you are waiting. We get there in silence but i can hear some classing music from the radio in your room. She opens the door to reveal you studying the north star necklace in it's glas case on the bookshelf.

"Y/n?" i ask but she doesn't turn around. Like she's either in her own world or something else is going on. "Y/n?"

"Sorry" you say, turning around to meet us. "They changed my name to Arya that i've forgotten that name even existed"

"How?" is all i can ask but you just look at me. Everything is precise with how you looked a year ago.

"Hi Tony" you say, with a small hand wave. Still standing over at the bookshelves while me and Nat are still at the door.

"I guess i've gotta throw out that death certificate now" i say with an attempt to joke and i succeed as you let out a laugh. I see a few sparkles against my face but it's gone the next second. Everything can go back to normal

"Don't just yet, i don't think the world is ready for it just yet" you say with a smirk.