A Chance At Revenge

~ Y/N pov ~

One black coffee. That is all that Kaz wanted me to bring him from the waffle house this morning. Jesper, Inej, and I sit at a corner booth, indulging in the best waffles we have ever had. Kaz was busy and decided not to come, though we aren't surprised. It has been a few days since the merchant party heist, and he has been busy ever since.

"What do you think he does in his office all day? Plan world domination?" Jesper asks.

"Probably something close to it, let's be honest," I chime in between bites.

"If anyone is capable of taking over the world, it is Kaz," Inej states, to which me and Jesper agree.

We are all about the same age, yet Kaz has the mind of someone far older. Only 17, basically running the Dregs at this point. So much pressure, yet he seems to welcome it with open arms.

"How does someone even become like Kaz Brekker?" I ask, thinking out loud.

Jesper thoughtfully considers and responds, "it is simple, really. A whole lot of trauma❤."

"At the hands of Pekka Rollins," I add on quietly, remembering our common past. Inej obviously hears me, though.

"Wait, Y/N, do you know what happened in Kaz's past? Is that why he always wants to interfere with Pekka's plans?" She asks, sitting up straighter. If Inej doesn't even know his past, no one does.

"No, I don't know." I reply.

"Thats surprising, considering he looks like he would sell the whole world to spend time with you." Jesper adds, with a smirk.

I raise my eyebrows in surprise, though I shouldn't be surprised at this point. We all know that Kaz isn't one for just letting people hang out in his personal quarters. Though, no matter how close I am with him, I still don't know what he faced at the hands of Pekka. Just like he doesn't know what happened to me. We have an unspoken agreement to keep it that way.

To change the subject, I say, "you know what we need? A catchphrase. Just for us Crows, when we go on heists."

"Like a verbal good luck charm?" Inej asks.

"Exactly that."

"What about 'Break a Leg'?" Jesper suggests after a minute. We all go silent contemplating why that would be a horrible decision before we all burst out laughing.

"Don't let Kaz hear you say that, or he won't be the only one using a cane in the Barrel," Inej says with tears in her eyes.

"How about 'No Mourners, No Funerals'? Think about it, we are all at the Slat because we have nowhere to be. No one will look for us if we dissappear. There are no funerals for criminals like us. No one to mourn us or put a rose on our stones. That binds us together. What do you think?" I ask, though I know the answer when I see Jesper and Inej's eyes light up with excitement.

"That is perfect," Inej says.

Jesper eagerly nods his head, "agreed, though your explanation was kind of depressing. But I'll forgive you, since you are paying for my waffles."

"I am not-" I start to say, but Jesper is already up and out of the door. That little rat. Inej laughs and stands to leave as well, paying for her own meal.