Chapter 9-Reagan traditions

Danny stands in the doorway of Ava's bedroom she was getting ready for her first date. He leans against the doorframe Ava looks up at him. No, Dad you promised?

He smiles at her. What Ava?

She points to his hip where his off duty weapon was. No guns. You promised?

He holds his hands up. I did not promise that, besides I am an officer of the law?

She walks over to him. You promised not to scare him, he is already fully aware that you are a detective?

He nods. Alright I promise not to be in uniform when I answer the front door?

She throws her pillow at him. That's not even funny dad, leave?

He throws her pillow on to her bed. I shall leave your bedroom but this is my house remember that?

Ava grabs her favorite sweater and looks in the mirror. Perfect and dad can't complain about what I am wearing either seeing as he brought me these clothes. One point to me?

Ava walks down stairs and heads to the kitchen, she opens the fridge and grabs a quick drink, she feels her phone vibrate in her pocket. She silently slips out of the back door and climbs over the neighbour's fence. She walks towards the street and sees her date waiting across the street for her?

She runs over to him. Hi Matt, I am so sorry about all of this?

He smiles at her. It's fine Ava, you already warned me about your father. You ready to go?

She nods and they run towards the main street. Ava sends a text saying. I love you dad?

Danny notices his phone flash and reads the text. Linda?

Linda walks into the living room, he shows her the text. Linda smiles. You got played by your 15-year-old daughter. She doesn't want you scaring away her date. She'll be alright, Matthew is a good boy?

Danny sighs. That's not the point Linda I wanted to meet him and make sure that he is good for our daughter. For all I know he could be much older than her?

Linda shakes her head. Matthew is in her classes besides I work with his mother at the hospital. I trust him and I trust our daughter. If you trust Ava and love her you will stay right here Danny?

Danny flops down on to the couch like a toddler. I do trust Ava but I don't trust him. I remember what it was like being that age?

Linda sits next to him. We had our first date at 15 and if my memory serves me correctly you were the perfect gentleman. I know Matthew's mother and she raised him just like we have raised Ava?

Danny sent a text out to Frank, Erin and Jamie to saying that Ava had snuck out so he hadn't met her date?

Ava and Matthew walk into a diner not too far away from the Reagan house. Matthew smiles. I have to ask, how did you even come up with this idea?

Ava takes off her sweater. My cousin Nicky gave me the idea she said her dad had tried to do the whole scare the date off thing so she snuck out before her dad could meet him and my aunt had done it before that, I guess you could kind of call it a Reagan woman tradition?

Matthew nods. I bet your dad isn't that scary Ava, I've met your mother and she is really nice?

She laughs. Yes my mom is amazing but my dad he's a NYPD detective he gets paid to be scary and to scare people. Besides my dad by himself can be okay it's when he has the others around him that is when it can be very scary?

Matthew orders them some food and looks confused at her. Others?

Ava nods. Yes the others, my uncle Jamie is also a police officer so I guess he would have been there in his full uniform to also scare you and then there is my grandpa who is the Police Commissioner yeah, he probably would have been there too to scare you away. There is a very good chance that they'll be there when I get back or that when I sneak back into the house I am grounded until I am 90?

Matthew looks at her. Another Reagan tradition?

Ava smiles. I guess so they always remind themselves that I almost died when I was born so they want to wrap me up in bubble wrap and protect me from the big bad world that they see every day?

Matthew holds her hands. That is actually a very sweet thing Ava?

Ava sighs. I know, it's a Reagan thing I guess. My family are always protective of each other and I wouldn't change it for anything?

Matthew stands up and brings her out of the booth. Then maybe we should start this date again, this time you coming out of the front door and I being frighten by your family because by the sounds of it they care about you a lot Ava and you need to let them show you?

Ava drags him out of the diner. I have a better idea, how would you feel about meeting all of my family?

Matthew nods. Show me the way?

Ava knew that her father would have gone to sulk with Frank and Jamie about how it all went. Ava pays the cab driver and looks at Matthew. You sure?

He nods as they walk up the path way, Ava knocks on the door and inhales. No turning back now Matthew. The front door opens Ava smiles. Hey uncle Jamie, is he here?

Jamie nods. Yes he is come on in this must be the phantom Matthew?

Matthew shakes Jamie's hand. Yes sir, you must be Ava's uncle Jamie?

Ava brings Matthew into the house. Dad. Grandpa?

They both appear, Danny looks at her. Ava sweetie are you all right?

Ava nods. Yes dad I'm fine, I wanted to apologize for what I did. However Matthew wanted to meet you all but on my terms. So Dad, grandpa and uncle Jamie this is Matthew. Matthew this is my Dad Danny, my grandfather Frank and you already met my uncle Jamie?

Matthew nods at all of them and shakes their hands. It's nice to meet you all, Ava talks a lot about you, I am sorry detective Reagan about what happened earlier?

Danny smiles at Ava. It's a Reagan tradition apparently one I was not aware of until this evening?

Ava nods. Maybe this could become a Reagan thing, meet the family on the terms and condition of the Reagan that is dating the person?

Danny pulls Ava into a hug. We only want what is best for you honey, we love you?

Ava smiles. I know dad, I love you all too?