ix. Rich Girls Don't Cry

CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE.
rich girls don't cry

     OF COURSE THIS is her life

     OF COURSE THIS is her life. With the way that things have been going recently, Nova guesses she should've seen this coming. Being the fastest human alive, you'd think that she can see things coming from a mile away, right? Well, physically speaking, she's great at it! Nova can see danger far ahead or when it's right in front of her and still get out scot-free. But, just generally speaking? She's horrible at it.

     She's had a fairly shitty day already, so why would she have expected it to get better? If anything, it'll obviously get worse. That's just how her life is apparently. (Nova doesn't really believe in God, but she's starting to think that if He does exist, He's definitely got it out for her.)

Like, Nova remembers this one time when she was practically head over heels in love with William Moore towards the end of eighth grade. (He was nice to her a couple of times after they worked on a group project together and he defended her when one of his friends was picking on her about her dad.) And after pining after him for one whole week, her friends had finally convinced her to fess up and tell him about her feelings.

     She remembers walking up to him, with way too much strawberry flavoured lip-gloss on, and telling him right to his face, "Will Moore, I like you." (Though she definitely meant it more as, "Will Moore, I love you.") He then proceeded to awkwardly reject her and Nova — who was completely and utterly heartbroken — had turned around and fallen flat on her face.

She's heard that Will dropped out and became a drug dealer. But the thought still haunts her to this day.

     Anyway, this is nothing like that time. This, Nova would argue, is worse in every possible way.

     It's already bad enough that she can't stop thinking about shirtless Peter Parker, and now she has to eat dinner with him too? (He's not shirtless now, obviously. But still.) Nova wants to run away. No, scratch that. She wants to run off a cliff into a pile of jagged rocks. That's exactly what she wants to do.