03. on the corner.

chapter three: on the corner.
act one: gold rush.

Jamie found it difficult to meet Peter's eyes. She couldn't exactly pinpoint as to why she was being so awkward, but she despised the intrusive feeling settling in her gut. She took Peter on a fast-paced tour, wiggling past assistants and writers clicking away on computers accompanied with furrowed brows. The Bugle was small in comparison to offices such as the New York Times, but it held an intricate organizational system and a special dose of chaos.

"You like to write?" Peter asked, following Jamie in a hurry as she led him to the cramped break room. A mismatched array of coffee mugs and various lunch leftovers littered the countertop, and there was a sticky note adorning the microwave reminding users to clean up their mess.

Jamie flinched slightly at the sound of Peter's voice, he was closer than she expected, his frame looming over her from behind.

"What?"

"Writing, do you like it?"

"Something like that," Jamie mumbled. "But I just do coffee runs and file stuff here."

Peter smiled, exhaling through his nose. "I see. Looks like we're both coffee slaves, huh?"

Jamie snorted, ignoring how her lungs felt as if they were about to pop. "You're starting to get it. Speaking of, ready to go?"

For the first time all afternoon, Jamie looked at Peter properly, whirling around to face him and his unruly head of hair. Jamie had to tilt her chin up to meet his eyes, soft shades of brown and hazel meddling together in his irises. His hair was sticking up every which way, though it suited him in a way Jamie couldn't quite name. And, of course, his beloved camera sat on top of his layered t-shirt. A short-sleeved shirt was thrown over a long-sleeved black one, the words Jet Black Heart throwing themselves out at Jamie in white block lettering.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm ready. Lead the way."

Peter followed Jamie out of the building and out into the March air, careful to keep a respectful distance from the tense girl. Her nerves jangled while a furrowed brow sat firmly in place on his face, he felt as if he had wronged Jamie since the last time they spoke. She was acting fluttery, like a flight risk as they fell into step together on cracked cement blocks adorned with green roots climbing free through the cracks.

Jamie knew she was acting like a nervous, ugly shade of herself. She didn't know why. But she knew Peter had noticed, which only made her anxiety rise. The last thing she wanted to say was that he was the reason she was acting like some nutcase, but it was the truth. It was Peter's stupid face that made her feel stupidly nervous.

Thankfully, the familiar buzz of a text gave Jamie something to do and fiddle with as she kept up her walk with Peter, the air around them growing thick.

Lin: so like since you're busy over the weekend—can i come over tonight??? we can rent some stupid slasher and eat away our feelings, it'll be gloriously vile.

Jamie bit back a smile as she stole a glance at Peter, who was pretending not to look at her phone.

Jamie: no can do. internship right now and gilmore girls marathon with mom tonight. tomorrow??

Lin: busy gah!! i'll just drop in and intrude on your lovely home life.

Jamie: sure thing, the key is under the frog. anytime after six should be fine.

Lin: sounds good to me. how's the slavery you've willingly volunteered for?

Jamie: shut up, i like it. you'll NEVER guess who my new intern friend is though.