Chapter Thirty-One | I Think I...

Langa and I destroyed the kitchen searching for food to eat. It wasn't that there wasn't anything to eat, it was simply that we wanted something that looked appetising to appear before us. Not that it was going to happen. I think Langa and I both knew that we would have to put effort into something if we wanted to eat something worth looking at.

Then Joe reminded us we were going to have to wait if we wanted chef food because he was going grocery shopping and wouldn't be back for a few hours. Langa looked like he was going to waste away in that moment. "We haven't even eaten breakfast yet though..." His eyes screamed out for snacks specifically. I knew because I did the same. "Have some toast if you're hungry." Cherry waltzed past the two of us staring into the empty doorway that once held our personal chef only moments ago. He stepped over to the bench, opened the laptop sitting there, and started typing. "What are you doing?"

I peered over his shoulder, and he flicked me in the forehead. "Ow-!" I slapped my hand where Cherry hit and pouted, "Could've just said not to do that." Langa walked over to me and checked out my forehead, I didn't want it to leave a mark. "Children never listen to adults. Especially when the adults are doing something privately."

"Is it bad?"

"No! It is not something bad! It' just work! I'm not on vacation like you two. Now go play in the sand or something." Cherrys' scowl was growing every second we stayed put. "Yes mom."

"I am not-!" There was a deep inhale and exhale from the man, and I waited to see if he would fire back at me. No wonder Joe did this so often, it was sort of fun. Cherry tapped his fingers on the bench rhythmically and turned to the two of us. "Langa, did Reki inform you on the photo that-"

"OKAY- Langa!! Let'sgotothebeachorsomething yeah?" I snatched Langas' wrist and dragged him out of the door, shutting Cherry up before he could say anything else. He was as bad as Joe. If not worse. What sort of blackmail does he think he can pull on me? "What photo?" Langa stopped himself from being dragged and walked at the same pace as me. "Nothing- He's just making stuff up, ignore him."

Langa looked suspicious of my excuse to ignore what Cherry said, but he didn't press me any further for the truth. I was grateful for that too. I didn't want to have to explain that I had a photo in our room of the two of us sleeping. Let alone that Joe of all people took the stupid thing.

"Wanna build a sand sculpture?" I crouched down in the sand and started piling some into a little mountain. Grains rolled down each other until they got to a certain point, then stilled. Langa copied me but did so closer to the water. His sculpture seemed to stand higher than mine, and I wasn't about to back down from this non-existent challenge laid before me.

I shuffled closer to the water as well, then started building some form of structure. Langa saw what I was doing and restarted whatever he was building. Now we were in a competition. What were the rules? I dunno. I don't think Langa knew either. If one of us asked the other, we probably would shrug and laugh then forget what we were doing.

Not the point.

The point was that we were having fun, and I was probably winning. My castle had almost four layers. Granted those layers were crumbling and falling apart as I built, but it wasn't as if Langa was doing any better. He was trying to make a modern house, and it was only failing horrifically as he built. Eventually, we got bored of that. Probably because we never set any rules or time frame.

Instead of just going back inside though, Langa decided on something better. As we were destroying our masterpieces, he pushed some sand over my foot. Then some more up to my knee. "What are you doing?" After only a few minutes, he was covering me in sand from up to my shoulders. Giggling the whole time, Langa tried to pat down and shape my body in the sand. "Building a sculpture."