Chapter 2

Born into wealth; that defined me as a human. This city was built of the backs of low class and hardworking people that sadly may not have gotten to live in these high society upper class areas.

There are 5 areas, also called districts. The first is the richest part of the city called Hayacin; where I was born and raised. Then comes Coread, Montrello, Galeño, and lastly Buschal; the poorest area in our City.

Being raised in Hayacin was supposed to be an honor in itself, and being raised in Buschal was considered terrible and wretched. But sometimes when I was taken to the medic, I looked outside the window and I saw Buschal.

I didn't see jewels or lavish dresses being worn by women who held their head high, I saw children with soot on their faces playing in the street smiling and laughing; the adults had simple smiles as well. Not everyone had smiles of course but it seemed like people in Buschal smiled more in one small square than the entirety of Hayacin.

It was then that I came to the conclusion that Hayacin's "grandeur" was nothing more than a front high society put up to not seem any less weak than those they deemed lesser.  In all my years I could attest that even I, the Heir to the Albrecht fortune would have probably been happier if I was born in Buschal.

By the time I was sent home, my thoughts would be filled with the similes of Buschal, and my own mouth would turn up subconsciously as well.
However it would immediately turn into a frown as the doors open.

My father was an appalling man; he married my mother when she was probably less than half his age and as they grew older he viewed her as an undesirable bitch. And in turn would bed younger women for their pretty faces and tight cunts.
He was money hungry as well, he would offer poor men the "chance" at a new life and a way to get rich quickly, then just as they were gaining large amounts of money he would run then to the ground and make them in debt to him; he did not do this because it was necessary, he did this for enjoyment.
He craved power as well, the ruling family only came to power because of my father and he takes pride in that fact; but he uses them to his gain as well. He asks for power and they, forever in debt to him, grant him almost whatever he wants; it's a miracle that he isn't king yet.
His money and power are what entices younger women into my fathers marital bed on a daily, and it seemed as if I happened to come home just as he was bedding one.

My mother, who had come to get me, immediately burst into tears and ran off towards the back entrance; the staff had simply ignored it, more occupied in taking care of the house and its occupants meals than they were of their master and his concerning actions.

The head servant, a very kind woman that came from Galeño, ushered me to my bedroom; continuously muttering about my medication and the weather that concerned her.

It was late spring, autumn was around the corner and it seemed that my health wasn't getting any better. In all the past autumn and winter seasons my health declined rapidly to the point I had to make the Hospital my home, and at this rate the autumns and winters I had left were only going to get worse.

My bedroom had a sliding door leading to our gardens, which I enjoyed opening and just staring at the insects, birds and flowers; a getaway from the continuous arguing my parents participated in and the sounds of copulation coming from my father and his...bedmates.

Sometimes in my daydreams I only imagine a handsome man coming through the gardens to see me, to love me and to make me forget this life.

All I wanted was to experience the smiles those in Buschal had on their faces.I wanted to smile with my lover, with my companion; and pray tell my soulmate. Someone to confide in, love and cherish and they in return.

However during the last week of spring my body weakened drastically. I had collapsed during a ball my father threw for his new mistress.

My body began to burn almost as if I was combusting, the white hot flames began to reach for every inch of my body and my nerves could only scream. The noises around me became too much as they grew louder and louder; I don't remember much after that other than waking up in a hospital bed.

At this point I was not afraid to die, I'd accepted it. I wasn't going to last very long with this 'incurable' sickness. All I could do was accept it and daydream of what life could have been.

As I was deep in a dream, a caretaker walked in with food; his smile was the most noticeable thing about him. His lips were upturned in a small smile, that didn't show teeth or gum. But he has a slight dimple showing on his cheek, the upturned mouth caused the muscles on his face to bunch up and create a plump cheek that made his eyes squint just slightly.

I shouldn't get started with his eyes, I couldn't describe how beautiful they were if I tried.

I spoke to him before I even understood what I was saying, it took a minute before I realized I'd asked him to tell me about himself. Panic overtook my senses, but broke when he answered.

"I don't have much to talk about Lord Albrecht"
His face still held that small smile, but rather than staring at nothing, he stared at me

"Nonsense, there's always a story to tell; and please, call me Beckam, I prefer it much more over Lord Albrecht"

That small impulsive decision I made, brought a smile to my face for the first time in years.