I Really Like You - Kazuha x Reader Modern AU

A/N: Modern AU but they still have magic.
Sometimes I just need a freaking break. Like, today, I woke up to a broken alarm that didn't ring. Then, I learned my mother dearest left me behind, leaving me to walk to school(it was November, by the way, freaking cold), which made me late for two classes. Then, I failed my chemistry test. After a nightmare of a day, I got home to look at my grades in the gradebook, to find out. That I'm failing a class. Turns out my parents looked too, because I walked out of my room to my parents yelling at me about how much I'm going to destroy my future and the absolute mess they went wrong with in raising me.
So, like the absolute coward I am, I am now at the park, sobbing my eyes out. If only my sister was still here to help me with my emotions, but nope, she's in college, probably too busy to deal with her whiny little sibling. I feel a small string of air gently brush my face. The tears on my cheeks make the feeling chilling.
"Excuse me," I hear a polite voice. Wait, I recognize that voice. I look up to see a white-haired boy with scarlet eyes.
"Kazuha," I acknowledge my classmate. I'm surprised he's talking to me, as I rarely hear him talk or see him interact with people other than Tomo and Gorou.
"Are you doing alright?" He inquires with a slightly concerned face. Great, self. Real great. You made a scene and now your classmate saw you and is worrying for your useless soul.
"I'm fine. I'm just tired," I respond. I think he knows I don't mean it.
Nevertheless, he replies with a simple "alright" and sits next to me. Wait, he's sitting next to me? Why? He got his answer, shouldn't he leave? Not wanting to be rude, or look weird in front of him, I don't say anything. I hear a whistle and turn to see him playing... a leaf? And the wind is enveloping us? How? I look to the side and see a glowing gem. Oh, he has a vision. That makes sense. Upon seeing that I have calmed down significantly(thanks to his leaf playing), he stops playing and turns to face me.
"If I may ask, why were you crying?" I know I shouldn't tell him, but he gives me trustworthy vibes and it hurts to hold everything in any longer. With a deep sigh, I explain my day, from the broken alarm to my angry parents. It's surprisingly not awkward. Kazuha listens with interest, and even asks questions to understand the situation better. But then, my day goes downhill even more. I start feeling sleepy, and before I know it, I wake up with my head on someone's shoulder. Oh, crap! Kazuha!
I jerk away and he smiles at me. With a small embarrassment-induced blush, I apologize before noticing the sun is setting. I look at my watch. 7 P.M. Oh shit. I bolt up, not before thanking Kazuha for listening to me rant and lending his somehow comfortable shoulder as my temporary pillow.
                    *****
It's been a while since Kazuha and I started talking, and a couple months since I've figured out I like him. Meeting at the park and talking has become a common activity for us. We always sit under the same sakura tree I was crying under some time ago. Things are going great. My parents think I'm still a failure, but hey, I've got Kazuha, and I've hit it off with Gorou and Tomo. They're all I need. Today we meet under the sakura tree again. By now, it's become regular to lean against each other while he plays his leaf or recites poems to me and I draw. The warm afternoon breeze rushes past us. Under the peaceful shade, I think back to what Gorou and Tomo tell me earlier at lunch.
"Just tell him. Or lean in and see if he kisses back," Tomo states matter of factly.
Gorou nods in agreement before adding, "I agree. It's best to get it out or you'll never get anywhere. Especially if the results are way lower than expected." Thanks, Gorou. Awkward as ever.
"Good to know, Gorou," Tomo blocks Gorou with his arm. "To be honest, I don't think he'll reject you."
"And if he does, I'm sure he'll still want to be friends, and we'll be here if you need us." Tomo face palms.
"Thanks, Gorou," I smile back before we quickly commence our eating before Kazuha gets to our table.
Back in the present moment, I look at Kazuha. He's now laying on his back with his head resting on his hands.
"Hey, Kazuha?" I timidly call him.
"Hm?" He responds looking up at me. I shift next to him.  And close my eyes leaning in. Okay, non, no, no, no, no. Abort! Abort! I pull away so fast and jump to my feet nearly giving myself whiplash. Great, now I'm a mess. A blushing, flustered, stupid mess. In my mental hurricane, I don't notice Kazuha getting up until he gently grabs my shoulders and turns me to him, kissing me. Oh my god, he's kissing me! He pulls away, and I'm too shocked for words. He backs away a little, rubbing his neck awkwardly and evading eye contact.
"Oh my apologies, is that not what you were going for?"
More shock. For the first time, Kaedehara Kazuha isn't completely chill. But before I process that, I'm too in the moment and I don't want him to think I don't want to taste his lips again. So I grab his shoulders and kiss him. The tension leaves him and he melts into the kiss. I wrap my arms around his neck and he wraps his hands around my waist. I've kissed people before, but this is the best. He's gentle and I can feel the love pouring from him when in his embrace. When we pull away, I'm smiling like an idiot and he's giving the same chill smile that drew me to him in the first place, but this time sporting a small blush.
"I really like you," I say while my forehead is pressed to his.
"I really like you too," he responds.
We stand there for a while in each other's arms. For the first time in my life, Kazuha made me feel like I belong somewhere. Now that I'm in his arms, double, no, triple that feeling. Yeah, it's far from top tier, but with Kazuha, maybe it can be.