Chapter 1

I woke up. I don't remember anything about myself, except for that dream. I was able to see from two different points of view at the same time. It all collided when that creature jumped into the cat. Am I that cat? Am I that creature? I can't remember. I don't even know my own name, what was it again?

"Grey! Are you alright?" A voice I recognized shouted something at the entrance of my room. I sat up, that's right, Grey.. that's my name. I'm on a soft bed inside a lovely wooden room, the walls were not painted, instead decorated with paper flowers. The window shone bright light onto my sheets. At the entrance of my clean room, stood a young catmage, no older than 19, with short, curly light purple hair. He was wearing a blue-grey cloak with a witch's hat of the same color. I could only see one of his eyes, but it was an amber color. He was a cream-colored cat, which made me feel strangely lucky to be where I am.

Ah yes, my name. It's Grey. I don't believe that's my name, but he doesn't need to know that.

"Grey, did you not hear me? Are you alright?" He asked, staring at me, openly worried.

"Oh, uh, yeah. Yeah I'm fine, just had a strange dream, that's all." I replied, snapping out of my thoughts. He didn't say anything. "What's your name again?" I asked.

"Uh, it's Petal.. are you sure you're alright?" Petal asked. He appeared much more concerned than before, not encouraging.

"Yeah of course I'm alright, I just forgot for a second, I forget things when I'm tired, it's not a big deal," I replied with a frustrated tone. I wasn't really frustrated with Petal, I just wanted him out. I suddenly became more aware of my surroundings and noticed that I was wearing nothing but an oversized shirt. Why was I wearing this? It felt sort of wrong.

"Oh okay, I'm off to go make some breakfast, come out when you're ready," Petal said, turning around and closing the door.

I let out a sigh of relief and stepped out of the bed. There was a small blanket underneath my feet, the rest of the floor being made of wood. I stepped off the blanket, the wooden floor was cool under my feet. There was a large mirror on the wall next to me. I turned to my left and stared at my reflection. I was a grey cat with some white spots and emerald green eyes. I couldn't tell why, but I felt like I was lucky just because I was a catmage. I turned back so I was facing forwards and walked to the closet, which was parallel to my bed. Inside the closet there was an assortment of clothing, and despite me appearing female, most clothes were masculine. I didn't question it too much and took a dark purple shirt, light purple shorts, a blue bandanna, and brown shoes. I left the closet and walked over to the mirror to get dressed and make sure I looked right. I couldn't explain it, but I felt like I had to conceal something, and it wasn't just the normal things. It felt unnatural.

. . .

"Oh, Grey! You're finally out. Come get something to eat," Petal chirped as I stepped into the kitchen. I gave a small wave and stared at what Petal had prepared. It was buttered bread and a slice of meat. I sat down across from him and started eating. "I'll be sure to get us more food soon, for now this is what I could get," Petal said, sounding a bit upset.

"Oh don't worry about it Petal, you're doing your best," I said, trying to cheer him up. I couldn't explain it, but it felt wrong when he was upset, like it's my job to make sure he stays happy. I looked around the kitchen, it was decorated similarly to my room, with unpainted wooden walls and paper flowers covering the walls. There were even some paper flowers hanging from the roof. The general room was fairly empty, however. I was tempted to mention the paper flowers, but stopped myself.

"Thanks Grey." Petal sounded like he was about to say more, but he stopped and his eyes drifted to something else in the room.

"You've been asking me all morning, but are you okay?" I inquired. I don't know exactly why I asked, but it just came to me and I said it before thinking.