04| Eccedentesiast

0 4

E c c e d e n t e s i a s t 

(n.) someone who hides pain behind a smile.

✘✘✘

I told you I don't want to join your super secret boy band.

– Tony Stark, Iron Man 2 

✘✘✘

good day, this is just me dropping by to say that spiderman: nwh is the best spiderman movie of all time and i am still not over it.

also, definite nwh spoilers from now on in this fic - your girl will deliver the script and theories marvel will pay for - mark my words, this fic will be the best piece of spidey-dedicated goodness i will cook up.

pinky swear.

but alas, enjoy!

✘✘✘

Peter realised he might have royally fucked up.

He didn't even know where he was – all he could do was stare at Fury's back as they drove on the motorcycle – and now here they were, in some dark abandoned entrance. Peter entered right after Fury, letting out a sigh – maybe he really should've answered the phone earlier – but here he was now, in a abandoned building with the insides of the Avengers Tower.

"It's nothing like the Tower, of course," Fury said, his lips pursed and brows quirked. "But we make due with what we have."

Peter exhaled, shaking his head. It was weird how there was no one else in here – Peter remembers always seeing Maria Hill whenever Fury was around – but yet here Fury was, all alone in this abandoned building it seems.

If Peter didn't know any better, something seems off.

"Why're you here alone?" he asks, eyebrows quirked. Peter knows his suit is in his backpack. "Seems kind of strange."

Fury glanced at Peter, and grinned slightly. "No need to panic, Parker – I'm not some shapeshifting bad guy. If I wanted to kill you, I would've done it twenty minutes ago."

Peter still wasn't convinced. "You didn't answer my question."

Fury was laughing now. "Well, it's because I have confidential intel to say – to you only."

That caught Peter by surprise. He crossed his arms now. "You do realise I'm not even an Avenger, right?"

"See kid, that's the problem right there," Fury started off, leaning against a table. "There are no more Avengers anymore – everyone is scattered around the place like cockroaches, so forget that – it's not a reason anymore." Fury's stare was serious now, his arms crossed. "But that's also why the entire world is in shambles – because the Avengers are gone."

He pushed himself off the table, and tapped his watch. Just then, a hologram of the Avengers popped up right in the middle of the room. There they were – Natasha, Steve, Bucky, Wanda, Clint, Vision, Tony – and Peter had to look away for a second before he could choke himself up.

Peter's eyes were burning, and it took everything he had to look back at the hologram without straight up sobbing. He clenched his jaw, fisted his hands, and stayed quiet. "See Parker, before the blip I knew everything," Fury started off, exhaling, "and five years later I know nothing." Fury was looking at Peter now. "Do you know how infuriating that is?"