Part 10

Warnings: 18+ readers only, swearing, Ransom being mean, Ransom being subby, Reader meaning business, confessions, crying, Linda being a bitch, Walt and Richard being dicks, Ransom feeling worthless

The days that followed your fight with Ransom were confusing. Your emotions were all over the place. You were angry and upset with Ransom, but it wasn't like you were in a relationship with him so he was technically free to do as he pleased. Ransom was never good at dealing with not getting his own way and usually retaliated in a childish way.

You were thankful for Steve being a good friend. When it looked like you were struggling, Steve (and Bucky) spent time with you. He made sure you were looking after yourself, and that you were eating and sleeping when you should. He even made sure you had clean clothes, especially when the two of you had to fly out to Italy for a business trip.

You weren't really that bothered about going, but Steve said it was just what you needed and gave you no room to argue with him. And you were glad he made you go to Italy. Working and enjoying yourself without the stress of your family or Ransom and his, was just what you needed. But reality came crashing back the moment you arrived home and there was an invitation on your answering machine from Harlan, inviting you to a party for the launch of his new book and he wanted you there.

It was a good thing really that Steve had convinced you to buy that dress you saw in a boutique window whilst you were in Italy.

(look at this pretty dress ^)

"You didn't have to come, Steve, you know that, right?" You smiled up at him thankful as the pair of you stood at Harlan's front door.

Steve smiled as he reached up and knocked on the door. "I know, but I wouldn't be much of a friend if I let you get fed to the lions, would I?" He chuckled.

Over the past couple of weeks, you had shared a lot with Steve about your family and Ransom's (not that he hadn't heard about them already), and he'd shared a lot with you. Your friendship had turned into something far more than just work colleagues and you were glad to have a good friend in Steve. It also meant you had a good friend in Bucky too, they sort of came as a pair.

The door opened and Fran smiled at you, "Hello, Y/N, I'm so glad you're here." She stepped aside and let you. "You've been avoiding us." She teased.

You shook your head, "No, Fran, of course I haven't been avoiding you."

"It sure seems like you have." A familiar voice said behind you.

You turned to face Harlan with a small sigh. "Hey, Harlan." You gulped. "Hmm, thank you for inviting... Us." You offered him a shy smile.

He nodded, "You know you're always welcome here." He offered you a soft smile. "What's going on, Y/N?" He frowned and looked behind you. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?" He asked as he looked Steve up and down curiously.