03. let the games begin

* CHAPTER THREE*
03. let the games begin

|| rise ||"don't doubt it, victory is in my veins, i know it

|| rise ||
"don't doubt it,
victory is in my veins,
i know it."

"Good luck kid." Theo finished giving Atlas his final pep talk and patted him on the back before turning to Aurelia.

"You've got it in you Aurelia, and that's a lot coming from me." He gave her a sad smile. Theo knew never to get too attached to the tributes because each year they eventually died anyway. He hated mentoring, it felt like fattening up a pig before sending it to its slaughter, he felt cruel because he knew there was nothing he could do about it.

Aurelia returned the sad smile and much to the man's surprise, gave him a hug. However, this sudden show of affection had a motive, and they both knew it. "Do what you have to do, keep him alive." She whispered into his ear, so Atlas wouldn't hear or suspect anything.

She pulled away and Theo gave a quick curt nod before bidding his final goodbyes and leaving the hovercraft.

Soon after, Aurelia and her brother were shoved and strapped down into the chairs and given an injection in their wrists. She presumed it was a tracker. From now on the Capitol would be watching her every move. This was real. Any minute now she would be in that arena either dead or fighting for her life.

—————

"You don't deserve this Aurelia." Giovanna held the small girl tightly in her arms, fearing this would be the last time she would do so. "Neither does your brother."

They were both stood in a small, square waiting room where she was about to enter the games any minute.

"You can do this you know, you're the golden girl after all." She pulled away from the hug and tucked a loose stand that had fallen from Aurelia's messy bun behind her ear.

"Giovanna, you know it's not me that needs to come home."

She sighed softly, blinking back tears. "I know," she simply said, "finishing touches." She clasped the delicate golden necklace around Aurelia's neck, who smiled as she saw the small sun charm, reminding her off her little sister, sweet Marigold. She could only pray that her sister wasn't watching the games, god knows what was about to happen during the bloodbath.

"10 seconds till launch." an automatic voice startled them both, deep in thoughts of worry and sadness. With one last hug, Aurelia turned away quickly and stepped inside the launching tube before she could change her mind. The sides of the tube automatically shot up around her, enclosing her inside.