Kirara - Humans

Demons are superior to humans...

That is what most demons believe.

But... what makes them superior?

Demons live long lives and do not succumb to trivial illnesses that rag and break the frail human body. Demons have powers, with just one hand they eradicate and crash even tall mountains, with a look and a nod they control and command hordes of lower demons or beasts of any kind. Demons have deep knowledge of things beyond the material world, things that the narrow-minded humans can not even conceive, let alone fully comprehend.

These are just few of the reasons demons themselves have come up with, in order to verify their superiority.

And these are the reasons that make Kirara laugh at her kind's foolishness, and make herself more certain of her decision to keep "consorting" with humans, as many demons would say in a condescending manner.

Yes, demons do not die that easily from sicknesses and go on and on for centuries and millennia, but... What exactly do they do to fill up these endless centuries, decades, years, months, days and hours?

It's not that they have that many options, actually.

Usually, if benevolent, they choose a mountain, or a forest or something to protect and with that protect the frail humans, seeking refuge and settle close to them; in that case, the demon spirits are forced to maintain peace in the area and keep observing humans coming and going, living their lives and dying... but always from afar. However, if darkness and hate has found its way to the demons' heart, they choose the path of acquiring power but for the sole purpose of destroying the land, the nature and everything that includes, humans too. Both options lead to a dull or meaningless life that stretches on and on, without passion, feelings, adventure, hope... without actual life!

Kirara knows, very well, that humans are not always nice or good. In her long life, she has met all kinds of them; cruel ones, so worthless that disgust her and make her think of them as worse than demons, but also beautiful ones, in their soul, passionate about everything life gives them and about creating new, equally beautiful life through children, somewhat a rare occasion or need among demons. Kirara loves that immense passion in humans and that was why she has chosen that type of humans to live with and, why not, even serve.

Humans are capable of having the same intensity in everything they do. From cooking and eating a simple food to protect and, why not, shape the world. Kirara has seen it quite a few times but it always amazes her. The inner strength a human can exhibit even after losing everyone and everything they knew by the hands of a beloved.

The demon slayer the cat demon happily served and still loves deeply, had seen her father and comrades being murdered by her own brother, a puppet in a demon's hands. She herself might got lost in pain and despair for a while, got fooled by that demon's words at first but it did not break her. She found that sparkle of passion she needed to keep her going, keep struggling where no hope seemed to exist, struggling to save her brainwashed brother. Even if she failed to do so, killing him would be far better; at least, he would be free from the demon's wicked clutch. For endless months, Kirara kept watching her favorite human girl fighting the pain and her inner demons in order to remain true to her commitment.

Passionately committing oneself to a cause till the end of one's life.

Another notion demon's rarely understand, unless it is for their own gain. Strangely enough, humans can do it even if they, themselves, have absolutely nothing to gain; just because it is their duty.

Like a priestess Kirara knew very well, who dedicated her life and soul in fighting demons threatening human lives. Like another priestess, who went as far as taking her duty with her to the grave... And still pursuing it, even after being forcibly resurrected and left with half a soul - the half that could experience only hate and bitterness - even when she knew there were others capable enough to carry her load.