Chapter 8. "count your sins"

The heat was overbearing, I felt like I was floating inside my own body.

My head pounded, and each throb through my skull ached, and echoed through me like a radar.

Coming to, I was met with a familiar buzz of the light above me, blinding me as my vision cleared.

I groggily sat up, my world felt slurred and too smooth, like butter.

All the blood rushed up to my head as I attempted to stand, and fell back over, reeling in pain and attempting to catch myself, only to cry out in anguish as my wrist crumbled under all the pressure and weight upon it.

I curled up in a ball, gripping my throbbing wrist and sobbing, wet tears seeping over my cheeks and falling onto the hard tile floor.

I laid there for minutes, silently crying and trying to recollect myself.

What had even happened?

I could've sworn that just minutes- no— hours ago that I was fighting that...t-that thing...

My head whipped around the room, searching for any potential threat, only to see nothing.

I shakily sighed, sniffling whilst trying to breath in through my nose. God, I was a mess... I rubbed my temple with my good hand and carefully tried to get up, my headache still telling me to lay right back down. 

Sweat formed near my hairline as I almost threw up. I fell back but instead caught some boxes, knocking them over in the process.

I heard running from down the hallway. I gasped, thinking that thing was going to be standing in the doorway but instead, it was Laurence.

He looked me over, his brows furrowing.

He rushed and knelt next to me, instinctively reaching for my face and cupping it, examining the bruises.

"Y/n...w-what... what happened?" He said, rubbing his thumb against a nasty mark on my cheek.

I sniffled, the tears starting to build up behind my eyes again.

"T-There was this p-power outage and I-" My voice was shaky and my lip quivered.

"T-There was this thing-"

He cut me off, shushing me and giving me a reassuring smile.

"Look, it's all going to be alright. I'll get you some help, okay?"

He said, lacing his arm around mine for support.

I nodded, swallowing a lump in my throat and following him out into the hallway.

I quickly gazed at that old door, which was now adjacent. I gasped and frantically looked at Laurence, my hand trembled as I pointed at the door.

He frowned, and looked in the direction that I was pointing at.

"Y/n...What's wrong?"

I bit my lip and rested my shoulder against the wall.

"L-Last night I was attacked and-" I swallowed. "Well at least I think I was— b-but there was this thing and it was in there..."