Chapter 2: Death

My supervisor was waiting for me by the department entrance with the usual sadistic look on his face, "You look the same as ever, grumpy with a chance of a temper tantrum" I mumbled at him as I walked past. "You're late, by 25 minutes, where the hell were you?" Jeez all I got were questions. "Was at a friend's place and what I was doing there is none of your business." Anyway I was planning on finishing work quick today, earlier the previous day I'd gotten a message saying I'd been accepted to work on the reactor floor. This was huge, it almost payed as much as Travis's job, this meant a proper home and real food. While I day-dreamed about my future I rushed through all my tasks for the day and went home early, on my way out I made sure to show my boss the finger. I trudged through the corridors of the colony. ARK-1 was the first and last human settlement bunker built. It's basically just a massive underground cylinder with multiple spring like coils circling around it, that let u access the different floors, and there's a lot of floors, it goes down 13 miles,  with each floor divided into multiple sectors, there's a total of five sectors per floor. Sector one has all the low classes like me at the moment (I'm working on it okay!?) While sectors 2 and 3 are where the middle and higher classes live. Sector 4 is where all the work departments are. The story is different with sector 5. Nobody really knows what's in there. Very few people actually have access to it and they won't be revealing things anytime soon, however there's a ton of theories, from a particle collider to just a regular administration section. I didn't think too much about it. My only goal was to live a somewhat luxurious life and die. I didn't care about the fact that humans are fading away or much of anything. But now that I've heard that there's another Earth like planet? With life? "Oh shit!" I completely forgot about Travis, I try calling him but obviously his holo-watch is turned off as usual. I sigh and cuss at him for being an ignorant little weasel. I decide to head home and take the elevator down to the 385th floor and walk into my "coffin" or my home. Coffins are just rooms that are so small they are on the verge of being inhumane. Most coffins like mine are just a 3 x 1 meter cuboid that's a couple meters high with a wardrobe and a shelf in the wall. It's the literal definition of 'cramped', It doesn't even have a bathroom, every time I needed to take a piss, I had to walk 50 meters to the public restrooms. I decided to get changed when I got a text from Travis. He'd asked me to meet him at his house, With something I'd never seen him use, fear... I knew something was wrong so I decided I'd check it out. On my way there I decided I'd have lunch. Even though Travis told me to get there quick I'd rather get there after lunch. I mean he always sounded urgent, that's basically his personality trait. Anyway I decided to treat myself and bought a cheese sandwich (I know this isn't a treat but you eat tasteless crap for most of your life and you'll know what I mean). After I was done I started heading over to his apartment. But when I got there... I knew I was in for a long day. His door had a huge hole in it, almost like somebody took a battering ram to it. And that's when I saw it. Enough to make me dizzy... There was a pool of blood by his door.