Chapter 3: Aftermath

I wanted to rush inside and make sure Travis was fine, but my instincts turned me in the other direction and I started sprinting through the sprawling hallways of sector 2. I immediately dial the emergency line and hope to God that Travis isn't dead. A woman picks up and I recognize the voice. "Hello, ARK emergency services, what is the issue?" It was an old... Friend, or more of a crush, we were in the same division in our training program. "Sarah!? I need help, I think there's been a murder! It's Travis, there's a huge pool of blood by his door and and- I don't know what to do" I was not in the best place. First of all, I'm speaking to my crush who makes my stomach drop, and to make matters worse, my friend's probably fucking dead. "Okay calm down I need to know who this is.. I am tracking your location and I'll send a squad immediately." Wait hold up... Did she just ask me who I am? Anyway we'll deal with that later. "Please send a paramedic team as well, do you not remember Travis?" I hear a pause in her breathing, "Travis Lenson? Adam is that you? Oh my God I'm on my way!" I sigh, she does still remember me. I calm myself down and catch my breath. I start heading back towards Travis's house and the cops met me at his home, there was already a small crowd of police and crime scene tape everywhere. I push through and spot Sarah by the entrance, she's still wearing her uniform and her hair's a lot shorter than the last time I saw her. She looked amazing but I couldn't focus on that. I rushed up to her and she gave me a hug immediately. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?" She seemed genuinely worried, maybe she likes me too? Snap out of it Adam, "where's Travis? Is he fine?" I say out of breath. Her face loses all its worry and fills up with dread. "I'm sorry.... He didn't make it.."

What happened after those four words, seemed almost dreamlike, The police took me in for questioning but let me go after they analyzed security footage and alibis, and concluded I wasn't a suspect. I don't remember much else except trudging home and passing out in bed. I wouldn't be able to sleep, not with something like this on my mind. Who would do this? And why? Why now? I slowly felt my eyes close as the fatigue loomed in.