Chapter 17 - Cara

For the rest of the dance, Cara made polite conversation, and practically ran away once the song concluded. She didn't like the King. She returned to the corner she'd been living in during the rest of the festival. Cara's hands had just started shaking as she realised the enormity of what she'd just done. She'd robbed the King. The King.

Edan approached Cara after a few moments.

"Well...?" he asked quietly.

Cara nodded.

"Show me." he said quickly. His eyes seemed to be full of hope. In her frazzled state Cara didn't think anything of the demanding tone and reached into her pocket, grabbing the cold, black ring. Only when she looked at it again did she remember what she was supposed to ask.

"Why do you have that symbol?"

Edan froze, clearly thinking of what to say to her words that had come out harsher than intended.

He didn't respond so Cara asked again. "Why do you have this ring? What does it mean?"

Edan's face went blank all at once and his eyes seemed to harden, glaring at her. For the first time since meeting him, Cara felt intimidated. "What do you think it means? Give it to me, I need to go."

Cara stopped short, all intimidation fleeing. She returned the ring to her pocket. Go? Where did he need to go?

"What do you mean, go?"

"I mean go. Give me the ring."

"We need to rescue Declyn and Thaleara. You need to pay us."

Edan didn't look Cara in the eye, but instead his eyes fell to the hidden pocket. "You'll be paid. Declyn and Thaleara will also be paid if they get out."

"If?!"

Edan's eyes flickered back to Cara's, and the gold irises seemed to move like they were molten. Cara took a step back.

"Give me the ring, Cara." His voice was low. Dangerous.

But Cara needed his help to get Declyn out. She lifted her chin and looked him in the eyes.

"No."

Edan's mouth curled and he snarled at her, jerking forward as though he was about to wrestle it from her pocket, but stopped short. His molten eyes flew to the palace, eyes moving directly to the top level.

Cara watched him wearily before finally pulling her eyes to the palace.

She gasped.

The signal.

Relief flooded her like water spilling into a dam. Declyn was okay.

They were flashing a small mirror through one of the windows, the light reflecting off the many lanterns littering the sky above the courtyard. Cara watched with her heart in throat.

Two flashes.

They needed to come down, and they needed a distraction.

Edan seemed to realise the same thing at the exact moment she did, and whipped his head back to her. He held up a finger in warning and threatened, "don't you dare-"

Cara slapped Edan across the face.

The slap ricocheted through the courtyard, gaining the attention of practically everyone at the festival. The dancers stopped, the mingling groups at the sides turned to see what the fuss was about, and many of the performers ceased at the distraction. Even the music seemed to pause for a moment.