Chess | Norman x Rian

"Hm! Checkmate." Triumphantly cheers at their victory.

"ah...I see." The other slumps down in defeat, having been defeated for the second time.

Emma slides herself near the two, looking over the broad chessboard on a mini table. "Who won this time?"

"Rian did," Ray said, sitting next to the two, reading a book while Norman and Rian battled in chess.

"AGAIN?" Her eyes widened in shock, her eye caught on Norman's tipped-over king. "How many times are you going to beat Norman, Rian!?" She yells. Norman, who is slumped over the tiny table, moaned in defeat. "Look at him! You're destroying his reputation as the smartest in Gracefield!"

"Who said he had a reputation for being the greatest." You lightly barked.

"I exist solely to take that title."

"Your competence is one I'll never understand..." Ray mumbles in disbelief, although he'd be lying if he said he didn't find your competence admirable.

"YOU! THE SMARTEST?!" Emma yells, her eyes widening in shock once again.

You were taken aback by her aggressive debate. How dumb did she see you that she disagrees so strongly of you being the smartest? You thought she was going to count the countless times you've done something dumb, which you didn't, by the way.

"NO WAY, OBVIOUSLY I'M THE SMARTEST." She yells, trying to give herself pride. 

She points out her thumb to herself, standing triumphantly. Which then defeated with a burst of harsh laughter. "GAHAHA, YOU? THE SMARTEST. YOUR JOKING" Ray inevitably pokes fun at Emma, unable to attain his laughter.

While you and Norman sit there in shock, checking if you both heard right.

"SHUT UP!" She stands there, face beet-red with an urge to punch Ray in the face.

You both move on from Emma's laughable protest. Norman turns his attention from Emma to you, facing you he looks at his defeated chess piece on the board. He didn't know what to think of it, he got defeated again.

"Congratulations Rian, you won again." He gently smiles, soft and sweet, like an angel sent from Heaven. He takes his hand towards you, above his fallen chesspiece on the board. He gestures to a formal handshake. 

He looks so gentle and innocent, but you know beneath the facade is an explosion of frustration and anger, his formal rival: Rian.

"Yeah, sure." You give back the gesture with a gentle smile and a handshake. Your palms touching his, they're soft and smooth, like mochi. 

Although neither one of you would let go of each other's hand, like a handshake full of rivalry and frustration. 

"Nah, Norman, why aren't you letting go of my hand." You say in a sharp tone with a gentle smile. A facade above your soon-awaited explosion of anger. "I'm not the one who's not letting go. If I'm correct, you're the one who's not letting go of me." He says with a gentle smile, also a facade above frustration and anger. 

Emma and Ray silently observed your rivalry, eyes widening in shock and fear. 

You jerked your hand towards you, but Norman still held onto your hand. "Why you little shit-"

Word Count : 508

NOTES: This is part 1 of "Chess" Read next part to continue onto the story.

Just started writing this project so if you read this wondering why there's only 1 part, bare with me. I'll be uploading a chapter a day, 500 - 1k words which will hopefully be a fulfilled promise. 

Rian is you, just with her own name.