Chapter V: Rivendell

Vaelia couldn't help the smile that stretched across her face when they finally reached Rivendell. It was as beautiful as she remembered, the elegant curves and embellishments of elven architecture giving her a sense of security few places in the world did.

"Gentlemen, this is Rivendell." she told the hobbits as they crossed the stone bridge into the settlement.

There were three elves standing ready to greet them. Two of them stood at the side and were clad in elegant elven armor, both holding an elven glaive at their side. The third one stood in the middle. He was clad in very elegant clothes and had a circlet adorning his head. His face had the look of someone very wise, someone who had seen much of the world, perhaps even witnessed some of the changes that had altered it. His lips showed a kind and welcoming smile to the group of travelers.

"Aragorn, Vaelia. Mae tollen." (Aragorn, Vaelia. Welcome.) he said.

"Hannon le, brannon nin." (Thank you, my lord.) Aragorn replied.

"And these must be Mr. Baggins's companions." the elf said, facing the hobbits.

"Gentlemen, this is Lord Elrond." Aragorn introduced.

"Welcome to Rivendell, friends." Elrond said, beginning to lead the hobbits into his home.

Vaelia and Aragorn followed as well, though they split away from the group when Elrond took the hobbits to show them their rooms. They handed their weapons to some of the guards, the elves assuring them that they would be kept safe. Aragorn then walked away himself, looking for Arwen, Vaelia imagined. This left her to roam Rivendell by herself.

She eventually stopped at a balcony. She leaned on the railing, her eyes wandering across the valley. No matter how many times she saw it, she was always marveled by the elegant curves of the white wood buildings and the way they melded with the trees and stones.

"Ah, Vaelia, daughter of Avila. I am glad to see you safe and sound."

Vaelia turned towards the sound of this new voice and smiled when she saw the familiar grey clothes, wooden staff, long beard and joyful smile.

"Gandalf. It is good to see you too." she said as he walked towards her.
"The hobbits seemed to be under the impression you would meet them in Bree."

Gandalf glanced down, his smile fading slightly.

"Yes, that was my original intention. But I was delayed."

Vaelia frowned.

"No trivial occurrence would have delayed a wizard, much less you."

"No, it would not have." Gandalf agreed.
"Saruman has betrayed us."

Vaelia's jaw dropped slightly in shock. She had heard of the White Wizard that resided in Isengard, neighboring the kingdom of Rohan and the ancient forest of Fangorn. But throughout all her life, Saruman the White had always been on the side of the light, the most powerful of the wizards of Middle Earth.

"Saruman? How?"

"He found a Palantir, a seeing stone. He used it in an attempt to widen his vision, and it would seem he reached Sauron." Gandalf explained.
"I do not know whether he was driven by fear or the desire for power, but Saruman has joined forces with Sauron."

"These are troubling news. Rohan should be warned."

"They will be, do not worry." Gandalf assured her.
"You have travelled a long way. You should take this time to rest. Besides, there's someone here who has been waiting quite anxiously for your arrival."